Woman in critical condition after SUV crashes into back of dump truck
Ravell Call, Deseret News
MURRAY — A woman was in critical condition Thursday after the SUV she was driving slammed into a bottom-dump semi truck on I-15, wedging it underneath the large vehicle.
Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Steven Winward said the woman's Toyota 4Runner was exiting northbound I-15 at 5300 South about 3:30 p.m. when the crash occurred.
A UHP trooper who witnessed the accident reported that the SUV was traveling at a high rate of speed, went off the road, over a culvert, crossed eastbound traffic on 5300 South and became wedged underneath the truck, Winward said.
The woman driving the vehicle became pinned in the crash and had to be extricated by emergency crews, Winward said. She was conscious when she was removed from the vehicle and was taken to Intermountain Medical Center.
Winward said it took more than an hour to reach the driver. Crews had to raise the dump truck and dismantle part of the 4Runner in order to remove her from the vehicle.
Crews also had to focus on cleanup before the road was cleared. Sand from the dump truck spilled during the accident, and wreckage from the 4Runner was scattered around the crash site.
The occupants of the vehicle, the woman's daughter-in-law and two children under the age of 5, were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, Winward said. The children are believed to be the driver's grandchildren. Both were secured in car seats.
"It's fortunate," Winward said. "It helped save their lives."
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 76
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15