Paul Sakuma, AP
Though Facebook users disclose pretty much any personal information an advertiser could ever want, the company can’t profit from it, according to CNN.
A couple of NYU professors are proposing a new strategy to pay users for the right to sell their information to advertisers.
While the idea seems a little absurd, it could help Facebook become the world’s leading market research company. Advertisers would have targeted access to clients who are actually interested in their products, and users would get paid to see advertisements they would want to buy.
"This way, Facebook's intent becomes clear," Vasant Dhar, a professor at NYU's Stern School of Business, told CNN. "If users aren't making a conscious choice about what happens with their data, they end up feeling violated."
The concept of buying user data is an old concept that hasn’t happened before because consumers are so willing to change companies. Facebook users see few to no alternatives to the social networking site.
"Facebook's current ad model is at odds with its mission," Arun Sundararajan, another professor at NYU's Stern School of Business, told CNN. "People are unhappy about it."
Sundarajan feels that the majority of Facebook advertisements aren’t effective.
Giving users control over their data with an incentive to do so would not only generate revenue but it would build more trust among its users, according to CNN.
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low
- Target data breach: Credit monitoring will...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- Doug Robinson: Gail Miller — Carrying...
- Bitcoin controversy marks Newsweek's comeback
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 14
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 13
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Carry-on crackdown: United Airlines... 3
- House backs bill to block EPA rule... 3
- Salt Lake Bees' stadium renamed Smith's... 3
- In populist appeal, Obama spotlights... 1