Paul Sakuma, AP
Though Facebook users disclose pretty much any personal information an advertiser could ever want, the company can’t profit from it, according to CNN.
A couple of NYU professors are proposing a new strategy to pay users for the right to sell their information to advertisers.
While the idea seems a little absurd, it could help Facebook become the world’s leading market research company. Advertisers would have targeted access to clients who are actually interested in their products, and users would get paid to see advertisements they would want to buy.
"This way, Facebook's intent becomes clear," Vasant Dhar, a professor at NYU's Stern School of Business, told CNN. "If users aren't making a conscious choice about what happens with their data, they end up feeling violated."
The concept of buying user data is an old concept that hasn’t happened before because consumers are so willing to change companies. Facebook users see few to no alternatives to the social networking site.
"Facebook's current ad model is at odds with its mission," Arun Sundararajan, another professor at NYU's Stern School of Business, told CNN. "People are unhappy about it."
Sundarajan feels that the majority of Facebook advertisements aren’t effective.
Giving users control over their data with an incentive to do so would not only generate revenue but it would build more trust among its users, according to CNN.
- Insights from the Behavioral Science Guy:...
- Dave Ramsey says: Dave Ramsey: Pets and...
- David Muir takes over ABC's 'World News' from...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Some fear auto industry returning to bad habits
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- Netflix unveils new way to share recommendations
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 7
- State lawmaker calling for criminal... 5
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Some fear auto industry returning to... 3
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad... 2
- Obama promoting economic gains as... 2
- No timeline announced yet for... 2
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152... 2