Utah Jazz: Jazz fall to Clippers in intense preseason game
That group helped Utah turn an 11-point hole into a tied game in the final minutes after the Clippers outscored the Jazz 34-16 in a sluggish third quarter.
"I have nothing but respect for our guys in the fourth quarter. We hung in there, fought back and still had an opportunity to win at the end," Corbin said. "(The second unit) they've done a great job all exhibition season."
While Griffin and DeAndre Jordan had crowd-pleasing dunks, the Clipper faithful also got loud on a back-and-forth series that starred the defending NBA Slam Dunk champion.
Evans swatted a shot by Ronny Turiaf, tipped it to himself and raced down court for a soaring tomahawk slam the ball over the Clipper big man. As if that weren't impressive enough on its own, Evans then busted it to the other end of the floor to slap the ball away from the Clippers again to foil a fast-break attempt.
"Oh man. Incredible," Corbin marveled. "It was a great learning lesson, just playing with effort and the desire that he showed to make those three plays in one — to get a blocked shot, to go down to make a dunk, to come back and get his hands on the ball and stop them from getting a layup on the other end." Added Millsap: "Effort man. That's what we need — effort. (He) blocked the shot, got on the other end, dunked the ball, got back in transition and almost got a steal. We're going to need that effort going throughout the season."
GAME NOTES: Jazz fans can only hope Saturday's rematch is half as intense and exciting as this one. … Rookie Kevin Murphy and roster hopefuls Brian Butch, Darnell Jackson, Chris Quinn and Trey Gilder did not play. … Corbin said he took a couple extra minutes in an unusually long postgame team chat to emphasize the importance of things like "playing with energy and playing smart on both ends."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22