Mark J. Terrill, AP
Jeremy Evans lived up to his reputation as NBA Dunk Champion near the end of the second quarter of Wednesday's matchup between the Jazz and Clippers.
Evans was playing defense and blocked a shot back towards the Jazz basket. The lanky, athletic forward retrieved the ball, went for the hole and threw it down over Clippers forward Ronny Turiaf.
The Jazz, playing without starting guard Mo Williams and backup power forward Derrick Favors, opened up quickly, going on a 9-2 run behind three Gordon Hayward free throws and layups by Millsap and Tinsley. Los Angeles rebounded, and the two traded baskets for most of the first quarter, ending the period at with the Jazz leading 23-21.
In the second quarter, the Jazz rotated most of the starting lineup out in preference for the second unit.
Enter Jeremy Evans, and cue the highlight dunk.
Twitter reaction on "The Human Pogo Stick's" throwdown was immediate.
@theshums tweeted, "Jeremy Evans 1, Gravity 0."
@JazzInJersey, "jeremy "touch the heavens" evans. copyright 2012"
@bigTBailey tweeted, "Oh My!!! LA Clippers Ronny Turiaf will need therapy after the Dunk Utah Jazz Jeremy Evans layed on him. A RIM ROCKER!!!"
Evans's dunk appeared to be inspirational for the Jazz, both offensively and defensively. They closed the half on an 11-2 run, and the Clippers closed the half making only one of their final 15 shots.
At the half, Enes Kanter leads the Jazz with 10 points, accompanied by Gordon Hayward with nine and Randy Foye with seven.
Landon Hemsley is the Sports Content Manager for DeseretNews.com
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45