Mark J. Terrill, AP
Jeremy Evans lived up to his reputation as NBA Dunk Champion near the end of the second quarter of Wednesday's matchup between the Jazz and Clippers.
Evans was playing defense and blocked a shot back towards the Jazz basket. The lanky, athletic forward retrieved the ball, went for the hole and threw it down over Clippers forward Ronny Turiaf.
The Jazz, playing without starting guard Mo Williams and backup power forward Derrick Favors, opened up quickly, going on a 9-2 run behind three Gordon Hayward free throws and layups by Millsap and Tinsley. Los Angeles rebounded, and the two traded baskets for most of the first quarter, ending the period at with the Jazz leading 23-21.
In the second quarter, the Jazz rotated most of the starting lineup out in preference for the second unit.
Enter Jeremy Evans, and cue the highlight dunk.
Twitter reaction on "The Human Pogo Stick's" throwdown was immediate.
@theshums tweeted, "Jeremy Evans 1, Gravity 0."
@JazzInJersey, "jeremy "touch the heavens" evans. copyright 2012"
@bigTBailey tweeted, "Oh My!!! LA Clippers Ronny Turiaf will need therapy after the Dunk Utah Jazz Jeremy Evans layed on him. A RIM ROCKER!!!"
Evans's dunk appeared to be inspirational for the Jazz, both offensively and defensively. They closed the half on an 11-2 run, and the Clippers closed the half making only one of their final 15 shots.
At the half, Enes Kanter leads the Jazz with 10 points, accompanied by Gordon Hayward with nine and Randy Foye with seven.
Landon Hemsley is the Sports Content Manager for DeseretNews.com
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41