Mark J. Terrill, AP
Jeremy Evans lived up to his reputation as NBA Dunk Champion near the end of the second quarter of Wednesday's matchup between the Jazz and Clippers.
Evans was playing defense and blocked a shot back towards the Jazz basket. The lanky, athletic forward retrieved the ball, went for the hole and threw it down over Clippers forward Ronny Turiaf.
The Jazz, playing without starting guard Mo Williams and backup power forward Derrick Favors, opened up quickly, going on a 9-2 run behind three Gordon Hayward free throws and layups by Millsap and Tinsley. Los Angeles rebounded, and the two traded baskets for most of the first quarter, ending the period at with the Jazz leading 23-21.
In the second quarter, the Jazz rotated most of the starting lineup out in preference for the second unit.
Enter Jeremy Evans, and cue the highlight dunk.
Twitter reaction on "The Human Pogo Stick's" throwdown was immediate.
@theshums tweeted, "Jeremy Evans 1, Gravity 0."
@JazzInJersey, "jeremy "touch the heavens" evans. copyright 2012"
@bigTBailey tweeted, "Oh My!!! LA Clippers Ronny Turiaf will need therapy after the Dunk Utah Jazz Jeremy Evans layed on him. A RIM ROCKER!!!"
Evans's dunk appeared to be inspirational for the Jazz, both offensively and defensively. They closed the half on an 11-2 run, and the Clippers closed the half making only one of their final 15 shots.
At the half, Enes Kanter leads the Jazz with 10 points, accompanied by Gordon Hayward with nine and Randy Foye with seven.
Landon Hemsley is the Sports Content Manager for DeseretNews.com
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28