Charges filed against man accused of carjacking a Porsche in Millcreek
SALT LAKE CITY — A West Valley City man arrested in connection with an Oct. 5 carjacking in Millcreek has been charged with aggravated robbery.
Matthew Cardenas, 28, was arrested after police said he held a man at gunpoint and took his Porsche 911, iPhone 4S and wallet from a business at 4626 S. Highland Drive, according to charging documents filed Wednesday in 3rd District Court.
Cardenas then eluded police in a high-speed chase and abandoned the vehicle, charges state. Officers located him later in the day at 3073 S. 700 East, and Cardenas attempted to flee on foot, leading police to stun him with a Taser.
Upon arrest, Cardenas provided police with a false name, charges indicate.
Cardenas was charged with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, as well as failure to respond to an officer's signal to stop and possession of firearm by a restricted person, both third-degree felonies. He also faces charges of failure to stop at command of a law officer and giving false information, both class A misdemeanors.
A search of court records revealed a collection of prior convictions against Cardenas, including assault and credit card fraud earlier this year. Cardenas was on probation at the time of his arrest.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 52
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10