I love the Harry Potter movies. And these aren’t silly, kid shows. They are actually quite spooky, but not in an evil kind of way. They are well-made, full of drama and amazing visual effects (that were even nominated for an Oscar this past year) and a great story. Note to parents: This series ranges in ratings from PG to PG-13. The movies get darker as the story progresses.
“Wait Until Dark”
This is a great old-fashioned movie featuring Audrey Hepburn. Newly blind and alone while her husband is away, Hepburn is terrorized one night by a man who believes a doll filled with drugs is in her apartment. This is a good scary movie that gives you thrills and chills without serious withdrawals.
Tom Cruise stars in this thriller in which he works for "PreCrime," a specialized police department set in the future that apprehends criminals based on foreknowledge provided by three psychics called "precogs.” Some scenes are very intense, and it’s somewhat of a disturbing storyline. But it’s Steven Spielberg at his best, and the movie was nominated for and won an Academy Award for Best Sound Editing and several Saturn Awards for Best Writing, Best Supporting Actress, Best Science-Fiction film and Best Direction.
“What Lies Beneath”
Michelle Pfeiffer’s character is married to renowned scientist Norman Spencer (Harrison Ford), who may have a shady past. Pfeiffer is suddenly haunted by a woman who claims to have been murdered by Ford, guiding Pfeiffer to a list of clues that may put her own life in jeopardy. This is about as ghostly as I get — and I think I even slept with the bathroom light on after this one, but it’s a great date night movie.
“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”
This is a classic, all-age appropriate show. Something to watch every year with the family. A great start to the Halloween season.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant who writes about entertainment and family for the Deseret News.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- A mother's voice: Remembering Emilie a year...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- One thing that changes every marriage
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 17
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 16
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 9
- Low math, science scores blamed on... 8
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 6