Gus Ruelas, AP
The Jazz gave the Lakers a beating in Los Angeles Tuesday night with a final score of 114-80.
Beating the Lakers by 34 points on their home floor is always a good thing for Jazz fans, but what's even more impressive is how the Jazz kept the Lakers from getting anything going. Kobe Bryant had a game-high of 31 for the Lakers, but only one other Laker reached double-figures in scoring against the Jazz. Jodie Meeks added 12 points on 4-9 shooting and was 4-6 from deep.
The Jazz didn't struggle to score against in L.A. as seven different Jazz players scored in double-figures and 11 scored eight points or more. As a team, the Jazz were 27-33 from the free-throw line as they attacked the rim throughout the game. Gordan Hayward led the Jazz in scoring with 13 points. Al Jefferson and Alec Burks were right behind him, scoring 12 points each.
The Jazz held the Lakers to 37.5 percent shooting from the field and to 40.9 percent from downtown. But Utah's offense was just as good as its defense. The Jazz shot 53.4 percent from the field and 56.2 percent on 3-pointers. The Jazz also outrebounded the Lakers 44-28. The Lakers were playing without big men Dwight Howard, who is recovering from back surgery, and Pau Gasol, which could account for some of the team's rebounding and shooting woes.
Jazz starting point guard Mo Williams sat out against the Lakers due a nagging groin injury. Even without Williams, the Jazz had 25 assists, while the Lakers had just 17. The Lakers' number of assists was eclipsed by the 18 turnovers the Jazz forced.
Yes, this was just a pre-season game, but the Jazz are 3-1 in exhibition play this year and have beaten the Lakers and Thunder both by double-digits. The Lakers are now 0-4 so far this pre-season.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29