Status of Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson still in question for Saturday
The Rose would be expected to pick another Pac-12 team to replace Oregon. The Orange would probably love to match ND against the ACC champ, but wouldn’t likely get the chance.
Notre Dame needs to finish in the top eight of the BCS standings to be guaranteed a spot in the BCS lineup and in the top 14 to be considered.
STRIKING A BALANCE: With Notre Dame on fall break this week, ND coach Kelly could push the Irish beyond the NCAA 20-hour limit for the work week, but he won’t.
Nor is he going to give the players a mini-vacation while they’re away from classes for the week.
“We don't want to change the routine,” he said. “So we bring them in. We don't want them sleeping until 1 o'clock. We had brunch at 11 o'clock and then they had some captain-led film study today.
“We are keeping them around, but we don't want it turning into a situation where they have got to be here like an NFL. We want them to relax a little bit as well.”
UPON FURTHER REVIEW: As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Kelly wanted to take them back.
Not that he’s in hot water with the NCAA or even trending on Twitter.
It’s the cheese factor.
When asked a recruiting question Tuesday about how ND has been able to attract defensive front-seven talent in such abundance, Kelly responded, “Well, if you can sell Avon, you can sell Notre Dame. You've got to knock on every door. You have got to ring every bell.”
And then after rambling on a couple of more minutes, he looked defeated.
“I can't believe I pulled that Avon analogy out,” Kelly said. “I don't know where that came from. Feeling a little weak on that one.”
QB envy? Maybe Notre Dame’s starter/reliever quarterback concept will become a trend?
Guess who has committed to playing two quarterbacks Saturday against 10th-ranked Oklahoma (4-1)?
Former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, now the head coach at Kansas (1-5). Weis will tag-team former ND quarterback Dayne Crist, a fifth-year senior, with redshirt freshman Michael Cummings. The latter, in a relief appearance, nearly rallied the Jayhawks to an upset of Oklahoma State last Saturday (an eventual 20-14 KU loss).
For the season, Crist is 88-of-177 (.494) passing for 1,088 yards with three touchdowns and seven interceptions. Cummings is 7-of-14 for 87 yards and one TD and no picks.
MIDSEASON ALL-AMERICA: Notre Dame senior middle linebacker Manti Te’o made CBSSports.com’s Midseason All-America first team. Senior linebacker Tyler Eifert and sophomore defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt collected second-team honors.
Stanford tight end Zach Ertz was the only Irish opposing player, past or future this season, to make the first team.
BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy and USC’s Morgan Breslin are the second-teamers the Irish have yet to face this season. Other Irish opposing players to make the second team were Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan and Purdue defensive tackle Kawann Short.
• Through six games, 39.1 percent of ND’s opponents’ drives have ended in three-and-outs. That’s the sixth-best figure among BCS automatic-qualifying schools. Alabama leads with a 50-percent rate in that category.
• Notre Dame has held five straight opponents to fewer than 300 yards in total offense. The last time the Irish cobbled together such a string started with the Fiesta Bowl to end the 1988 national title run along with the first four games of the 1989 season.
• Notre Dame has not allowed a rushing touchdown in eight straight games, dating back to last season. It’s the longest such streak at ND since an eight-game stretch in 1976-77.
- BYU, Utah and Utah State 2013 football...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- BYU, Utah and Utah State 2013 football...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi beats Bingham,...
- High school softball: Seniors lead Copper...
- High school boys soccer: Practice makes...
- High school softball: Salem Hills soars to...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 56
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 28
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 27
- BYU, Utah and Utah State 2013 football... 21
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 12