Deseret News illustration
The Supreme Court will hear a case before the end of the month that could force garage sales and thrift stores out of business, according to Northern Colorado Gazette.
The first-sale doctrine, which allows consumers to sell used products they originally bought, could be in jeopardy, according to MarketWatch.
For some tips & tricks to make your garage sale go smoothly, click here.
The case that could determine it all stems from a college student shipping textbooks from his home country, Thailand, where the publisher sold them for a fraction of the price. The student would then sell them himself for a profit of $1.2 million in the U.S.
Companies with copyrights of foreign-made goods may be able to require permission to sell their goods if the Supreme Court backs up the appellate court’s decision — permissions that may come with a demand for a portion of the profit.
Such a decision could affect libraries, museums and Internet companies that are fueled by resold items like eBay or Craigslist, according to MarketWatch.
Used car sales could also take a hit since they have parts made by several different companies. This could potentially require a dealer to obtain permission from every manufacturer to sell the car, according to Northern Colorado Gazette.
EMAIL: email@example.com TWITTER: @SeanRParker
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- There's a bipartisan new approach to curbing...
- Who wins and loses under Obama's stricter...
- How Facebook plans to change the world with...
- In the 21st century, 'spiritual branding' is...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- AT&T, as new owner of DirecTV, offers...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 18
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- Who wins and loses under Obama's... 12
- Higher wages a surprising success for... 11
- Sex and violence harm rather than help... 5
- Contractor fined for employing children... 4
- There's a bipartisan new approach to... 3
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 2