Becca Cardon, a member of Ogden High's color guard, said after her school's performance that it was one of the best they had ever done. Cardon and the other members of her guard showed off new costumes and props for the very first time at the Davis Cup, something they said can be challenging but is typical of their performances.
"I stumbled in the fourth song," Cardon said. "I think we pulled it off pretty well for having brand new stuff."
The 33 schools participating in Tuesday's event were separated into divisions, from 1A to 5A, based on each band's size. Music ranged from modern arrangements, like Fremont High School's performance of the music of Bruno Mars, to more classical fare, like Ogden High's music from Igor Stravinsky's "Firebird," which included a 30-foot model volcano.
American Fork High School was named the winner in the 5A division and overall winner of the Davis Cup. Davis High School came in second, with Skyview High School finishing third.
The Davis Cup Invitational is organized by an association of parents and relies on the efforts of about 200 volunteers, Davis Cup committee chairman Lincoln Homer said. Proceeds from the event are used to offset the expenses of the Davis High School marching band program.
Class 1 A
First Place — Timpanogos
Second Place — Grantsville
Third Place — West Jordan
Class 2 A
First Place — Pocatello ID
Second Place — Tooele
Third Place — Ogden
First Place — Lone Peak
Second Place — Viewmont
Third Place — Blackfoot (ID)
First Place — Timpview
Second Place — Westlake
Third Place — Riverton
First Place — American Fork
Second Place — Davis
Third Place — Sky View
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 63
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 22
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 12
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9