BYU golf: Men's golf finishes fourth at Alister MacKenzie Invitational
In Tuesday’s final round of the Alister MacKenzie Invitational, the BYU men’s golf team finished fourth in a field with three teams ranked top 25 nationally.
Under windy conditions at Meadow Club Golf Course, the Cougars shot a 1-over 285 on the day combining for an 844 two-day tournament score. They were followed by No. 24 San Diego State with an 850 total, while No. 25 Oregon finished the tournament in 11th place and a 858 score. Host Cal, ranked No. 1 nationally, won the Invitational shooting an 11-under 273 on the last day of competition. West Coast Conference foe San Francisco finished second with an 826 score.
“We had a solid finish and had a lot of positives in this tournament,” BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “Cal played like its national ranking and our guys hung with them for the first two rounds.”
Cougar senior Zac Blair, who started the day tied in fourth, improved his place by one with a 3-under 68 final round and a 203 overall total that put him tied for third place with Cal’s Joel Staiter.
“Zac played awesome and he was solid throughout the entire tournament, “ added Brockbank. “Devon Purser also had a good day getting his best round today.”
Purser started the final round tied for 55th with teammate Mike Jurca, but with the 2-under 69 he improved his placement tying for 34th place. Jurca finished the competition with a 224 aggregate after a 7-over 78 final round tied for 69th place overall.
Justin Keiley ended the tournament in a tie for 26th place with a combined 214 total score including a 3-over 74 final round.
Teammate Adam Tebbs also had a 3-over 74 final round placing him in a three-way tie for 45th place with a player from San Diego State and Nevada.
The Cougars have one more fall tournament scheduled. They will compete in the Pacific Invitational at Stockton, Calif., beginning Oct. 29.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23