Wyoming man accused of using child's birthday money in Ogden drug deal
MORGAN — A Wyoming man was arrested Friday after police say he used his child's birthday money to buy marijuana in Ogden.
Andrew Mook, 28, of Evanston, was arrested Friday night when the car he was riding in was pulled over on I-84 about two miles east of Morgan. Morgan County deputy sheriff Christian Peay said Mook's 7-year-old son was in the vehicle, along with another man and his 2-year-old son.
Mook didn't have a driver's license and had recruited his 16-year-old brother-in-law, who had only been driving for a few months, to make the drive to Ogden and back, Peay said.
All of the vehicle's occupants were Wyoming residents, Peay said.
Peay said he was suspicious of the vehicle and pulled the car over because a light over the license plate was burned out. His police dog, Hank, responded to the smell of the drug, and Mook said he had a pipe in the car, Peay said.
Upon searching the vehicle, Peay said he located a backpack in the front seat of the car, which contained a bag with about a half-pound of marijuana and three smaller bags with about 3 grams of marijuana each. A loaded 9 mm handgun was also found in the car, he said.
After Mook was booked into jail, Peay said police received a call from Mook's wife. The woman was upset because the money her husband had supposedly used to purchase the marijuana was their child's birthday money, Peay said.
Peay said a considerable amount of drug traffic in and out of Ogden crosses the Wyoming border.
Mook was charged Tuesday in 2nd District Court with endangerment of a child and possession of a firearm by a restricted person, both third-degree felonies, as well as possession of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
- Video: Utah man uses 'random acts of pasta'...
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 36
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 24
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 23