Wyoming man accused of using child's birthday money in Ogden drug deal
MORGAN — A Wyoming man was arrested Friday after police say he used his child's birthday money to buy marijuana in Ogden.
Andrew Mook, 28, of Evanston, was arrested Friday night when the car he was riding in was pulled over on I-84 about two miles east of Morgan. Morgan County deputy sheriff Christian Peay said Mook's 7-year-old son was in the vehicle, along with another man and his 2-year-old son.
Mook didn't have a driver's license and had recruited his 16-year-old brother-in-law, who had only been driving for a few months, to make the drive to Ogden and back, Peay said.
All of the vehicle's occupants were Wyoming residents, Peay said.
Peay said he was suspicious of the vehicle and pulled the car over because a light over the license plate was burned out. His police dog, Hank, responded to the smell of the drug, and Mook said he had a pipe in the car, Peay said.
Upon searching the vehicle, Peay said he located a backpack in the front seat of the car, which contained a bag with about a half-pound of marijuana and three smaller bags with about 3 grams of marijuana each. A loaded 9 mm handgun was also found in the car, he said.
After Mook was booked into jail, Peay said police received a call from Mook's wife. The woman was upset because the money her husband had supposedly used to purchase the marijuana was their child's birthday money, Peay said.
Peay said a considerable amount of drug traffic in and out of Ogden crosses the Wyoming border.
Mook was charged Tuesday in 2nd District Court with endangerment of a child and possession of a firearm by a restricted person, both third-degree felonies, as well as possession of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9