Utah GOP files campaign complaints against 3rd District challenger Soren Simonsen
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Republican Party has filed complaints against Democratic congressional candidate Soren Simonsen, contending he hasn't complied with federal financial disclosure laws.
After filing a statement of candidacy on June 10, Simonsen should have filed a statement of organization by June 30, Utah GOP Vice Chairman Lowell Nelson wrote in a letter to the Federal Election Commission. Simonsen submitted the organizational statement on July 6, according to the FEC website.
Simonsen also did not file a July quarterly financial disclosure report.
The FEC acknowledged receipt of the complaint and said it would notify Nelson when it takes final action.
In a second letter to the House Ethics Committee, Nelson wrote that Simonsen did not file a personal financial disclosure form as required by federal law. Nelson also asked the committee to investigate the matter.
Simonsen, who currently serves as chairman of the Salt Lake City Council, is challenging two-term Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz in Utah's 3rd District. Simonsen blamed the missed deadlines and failure to file reports on an inexperienced campaign staff.
"There wasn't any ill intent," he said. "Those who were advising me were a little green at this."
Simonsen said he didn't submit a July quarterly campaign finance report because he hadn't reached the $5,000 threshold and was still getting his campaign committee registered.
He said he has now filed the required reports and believes he's compliant with election laws.
Simonsen did file the October quarterly report, which covers July, August and September. It shows he has raised $20,175, half of which came from the American Institute of Architects PAC. He has spent $14,282 and had $5,892 on hand.
"We've had a tough time raising money," he said, attributing that to a lack of interest in the race.
Chaffetz has raised more than $750,000 in the current election cycle and has about $145,000 in the bank.
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Sharing stories is how to best leave a...
- Heavy ski traffic highlights need for better...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 51
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Biskupski's pick to lead public... 13