KANAB — A Kanab woman was killed in a rollover accident in a remote area of Kane County last week.
The other occupants of the vehicle were forced to take shelter in their wrecked vehicle for 12 hours from the rain until daylight when they could call law enforcers.
The accident happened about 9 p.m. Thursday about five miles east of Glendale on the Glendale Bench Road, according to the Kane County Sheriff's Office. Rain, slick roads and an unfamiliarity of the area likely contributed to the rollover of the sport utility vehicle, the sheriff's office said in a statement.
Jaylyne Doramus, 21, was ejected from the back seat and killed. The driver, Tanya Sales, 47, was also ejected. The third person in the vehicle was Gary Cross, 55. All three are from Kanab.
Cross helped Sales back into the vehicle after the accident, where they sought shelter from the rain. When it was light, they found a cellphone in the wreckage and called 911, according to the sheriff's office. Because of the remote location of the accident and because the two weren't exactly sure where they were, it took rescue crews about 50 minutes to find the wreck, the sheriff's office said.
Sales and Cross were treated for unspecified injuries at a local hospital. Doramus had given birth just two weeks ago. The infant was at home with the father at the time of the accident.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 76
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17