KANAB — A Kanab woman was killed in a rollover accident in a remote area of Kane County last week.
The other occupants of the vehicle were forced to take shelter in their wrecked vehicle for 12 hours from the rain until daylight when they could call law enforcers.
The accident happened about 9 p.m. Thursday about five miles east of Glendale on the Glendale Bench Road, according to the Kane County Sheriff's Office. Rain, slick roads and an unfamiliarity of the area likely contributed to the rollover of the sport utility vehicle, the sheriff's office said in a statement.
Jaylyne Doramus, 21, was ejected from the back seat and killed. The driver, Tanya Sales, 47, was also ejected. The third person in the vehicle was Gary Cross, 55. All three are from Kanab.
Cross helped Sales back into the vehicle after the accident, where they sought shelter from the rain. When it was light, they found a cellphone in the wreckage and called 911, according to the sheriff's office. Because of the remote location of the accident and because the two weren't exactly sure where they were, it took rescue crews about 50 minutes to find the wreck, the sheriff's office said.
Sales and Cross were treated for unspecified injuries at a local hospital. Doramus had given birth just two weeks ago. The infant was at home with the father at the time of the accident.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11