Innocent bystander hit in drive-by shooting, West Valley police say
Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man pumping gas was hit in the leg by a stray bullet Tuesday afternoon during a drive-by shooting.
About 12:10 p.m., shots were fired at a Shell gas station, 4018 W. 4100 South. A 54-year-old innocent bystander pumping gas was shot in the leg, said West Valley Police Sgt. Amy Maurer. Detectives do not believe the man was the intended target or had any connection to the alleged shooters.
The man was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.
Kelly Woodley was getting lunch next door to the gas station when she noticed the occupants of a silver truck arguing with two people in the gas station parking lot.
"The truck turned around, then came back and started shooting at the kids," Woodley said.
The pedestrians ran one way, and the truck drove off in the other direction, she said.
"It was like six of seven shots," Woodley said. "We're lucky a lot of people didn't get hit because it was busy. A lot of people were pumping gas."
An ice machine near the gas station entrance — possibly where the intended targets were standing — was damaged by gunshots. Police were still looking for those people Tuesday.
Investigators also were looking for a silver or white Toyota Tundra with three occupants. They believe the vehicle was in the gas station parking lot when the shots were fired.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident to call 801-840-4000.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Chopper pilot set to retire after 46 years,...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 14