Innocent bystander hit in drive-by shooting, West Valley police say
Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man pumping gas was hit in the leg by a stray bullet Tuesday afternoon during a drive-by shooting.
About 12:10 p.m., shots were fired at a Shell gas station, 4018 W. 4100 South. A 54-year-old innocent bystander pumping gas was shot in the leg, said West Valley Police Sgt. Amy Maurer. Detectives do not believe the man was the intended target or had any connection to the alleged shooters.
The man was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.
Kelly Woodley was getting lunch next door to the gas station when she noticed the occupants of a silver truck arguing with two people in the gas station parking lot.
"The truck turned around, then came back and started shooting at the kids," Woodley said.
The pedestrians ran one way, and the truck drove off in the other direction, she said.
"It was like six of seven shots," Woodley said. "We're lucky a lot of people didn't get hit because it was busy. A lot of people were pumping gas."
An ice machine near the gas station entrance — possibly where the intended targets were standing — was damaged by gunshots. Police were still looking for those people Tuesday.
Investigators also were looking for a silver or white Toyota Tundra with three occupants. They believe the vehicle was in the gas station parking lot when the shots were fired.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident to call 801-840-4000.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 88
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18