Innocent bystander hit in drive-by shooting, West Valley police say
Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man pumping gas was hit in the leg by a stray bullet Tuesday afternoon during a drive-by shooting.
About 12:10 p.m., shots were fired at a Shell gas station, 4018 W. 4100 South. A 54-year-old innocent bystander pumping gas was shot in the leg, said West Valley Police Sgt. Amy Maurer. Detectives do not believe the man was the intended target or had any connection to the alleged shooters.
The man was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.
Kelly Woodley was getting lunch next door to the gas station when she noticed the occupants of a silver truck arguing with two people in the gas station parking lot.
"The truck turned around, then came back and started shooting at the kids," Woodley said.
The pedestrians ran one way, and the truck drove off in the other direction, she said.
"It was like six of seven shots," Woodley said. "We're lucky a lot of people didn't get hit because it was busy. A lot of people were pumping gas."
An ice machine near the gas station entrance — possibly where the intended targets were standing — was damaged by gunshots. Police were still looking for those people Tuesday.
Investigators also were looking for a silver or white Toyota Tundra with three occupants. They believe the vehicle was in the gas station parking lot when the shots were fired.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident to call 801-840-4000.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Police arrest 3 suspected of vandalizing LDS...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Lawmaker pledges to run bill changing... 36
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 36
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 31
- Federal government extends same-sex... 28
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21