Innocent bystander hit in drive-by shooting, West Valley police say
Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man pumping gas was hit in the leg by a stray bullet Tuesday afternoon during a drive-by shooting.
About 12:10 p.m., shots were fired at a Shell gas station, 4018 W. 4100 South. A 54-year-old innocent bystander pumping gas was shot in the leg, said West Valley Police Sgt. Amy Maurer. Detectives do not believe the man was the intended target or had any connection to the alleged shooters.
The man was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.
Kelly Woodley was getting lunch next door to the gas station when she noticed the occupants of a silver truck arguing with two people in the gas station parking lot.
"The truck turned around, then came back and started shooting at the kids," Woodley said.
The pedestrians ran one way, and the truck drove off in the other direction, she said.
"It was like six of seven shots," Woodley said. "We're lucky a lot of people didn't get hit because it was busy. A lot of people were pumping gas."
An ice machine near the gas station entrance — possibly where the intended targets were standing — was damaged by gunshots. Police were still looking for those people Tuesday.
Investigators also were looking for a silver or white Toyota Tundra with three occupants. They believe the vehicle was in the gas station parking lot when the shots were fired.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident to call 801-840-4000.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Unmasked: How the dynamic duo behind Salt...
- 'Life-changing' program for families battles...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Failed resort embittered friends, Marc Jenson...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 201
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 62
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 20