SARATOGA SPRINGS — The Westlake High School band will honor its director's deceased son with an original composition.
The band has commissioned the work by renowned composer Samuel Hazo to honor the memory of Garrett Mangelson, son of Westlake band director Brek Mangelson, who died last summer in an accident in his home. The work will premiere in December at the band’s holiday concert.
Mangelson has served as band director at Westlake since the school opened in 2009. His son Garrett was born just a few months before he began working at the school. During the 2011-12 school year, the band dedicated its marching season to Garrett’s memory.
The original work is titled “Mountain Thyme” and is based on an old Irish folk song. The piece will make its debut during the winter concert at 7 p.m. on Dec. 12 in the Westlake High School auditorium.
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Heavy rain damages roads, floods basements in...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- The truth about addiction
- Man killed by TRAX train after wheelchair...
- Stephanie Nielson wanted to not just survive,...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 67
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 48
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential... 18