SARATOGA SPRINGS — The Westlake High School band will honor its director's deceased son with an original composition.
The band has commissioned the work by renowned composer Samuel Hazo to honor the memory of Garrett Mangelson, son of Westlake band director Brek Mangelson, who died last summer in an accident in his home. The work will premiere in December at the band’s holiday concert.
Mangelson has served as band director at Westlake since the school opened in 2009. His son Garrett was born just a few months before he began working at the school. During the 2011-12 school year, the band dedicated its marching season to Garrett’s memory.
The original work is titled “Mountain Thyme” and is based on an old Irish folk song. The piece will make its debut during the winter concert at 7 p.m. on Dec. 12 in the Westlake High School auditorium.
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- The truth about addiction
- Heavy rain damages roads, floods basements in...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 67
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 22
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19