Utah Jazz: Mo Williams to sit out tonight's game with groin injury
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — It's preseason, which for Mo Williams means it's about that time of year for a certain aggravating injury to resurface.
The Utah Jazz will be without their starting point guard for tonight's preseason rematch game against the Los Angeles Lakers (8 p.m. MDT, ROOT) because of a nagging strained right adductor muscle.
Williams has been forced to deal with the groin injury off and on this preseason, and it flared up again during Monday's practice in El Segundo, Calif.
Backup veteran Jamaal Tinsley will fill in for the 29-year-old guard in tonight's exhibition contest at the Honda Center, but Williams hopes to return to action on Wednesday against his old team, the Clippers, at Staples Center.
"It's back-to-back, so we want just be careful with it, make sure it don't become a problem going into the season," Williams said after this morning's shootaround session. "I should be ready by tomorrow."
Williams' absence will create playing opportunities at the playmaker position for Tinsley, who's looking forward to creating scoring chances for the high-powered starters, along with Randy Foye, Alec Burks and roster hopeful Chris Quinn.
Tyrone Corbin plans on using Foye, a veteran combo guard, the most behind Tinsley, while Burks and Quinn should also see court time.
"Alec know the system more," Corbin said. "So right now I'd like to see Randy do more of the point guard stuff right now to get him more comfortable with it."
Williams said he's been dealing with groin issues for years and has had to pay extra attention since undergoing hernia surgery in 2008.
"It's an area I have to stay on top of every day," he said. "With all the running and practicing, it usually gives me problem during training camp. I usually break free of it during the season, because I'm able to get a lot more rest on it."
Williams dismissed the notion that he'd rather face his former team and sit out against the Lakers.
"I don't like sitting out at all," he said. "It's preseason. It's all about us. I love playing ... If it's the Lakers or Clippers, it doesn't matter. I'm 10 years into the league. I don't have vendettas against teams that I want to play."
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 142
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 106
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 89
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 52
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 27
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24