Utah Jazz: Mo Williams to sit out tonight's game with groin injury
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — It's preseason, which for Mo Williams means it's about that time of year for a certain aggravating injury to resurface.
The Utah Jazz will be without their starting point guard for tonight's preseason rematch game against the Los Angeles Lakers (8 p.m. MDT, ROOT) because of a nagging strained right adductor muscle.
Williams has been forced to deal with the groin injury off and on this preseason, and it flared up again during Monday's practice in El Segundo, Calif.
Backup veteran Jamaal Tinsley will fill in for the 29-year-old guard in tonight's exhibition contest at the Honda Center, but Williams hopes to return to action on Wednesday against his old team, the Clippers, at Staples Center.
"It's back-to-back, so we want just be careful with it, make sure it don't become a problem going into the season," Williams said after this morning's shootaround session. "I should be ready by tomorrow."
Williams' absence will create playing opportunities at the playmaker position for Tinsley, who's looking forward to creating scoring chances for the high-powered starters, along with Randy Foye, Alec Burks and roster hopeful Chris Quinn.
Tyrone Corbin plans on using Foye, a veteran combo guard, the most behind Tinsley, while Burks and Quinn should also see court time.
"Alec know the system more," Corbin said. "So right now I'd like to see Randy do more of the point guard stuff right now to get him more comfortable with it."
Williams said he's been dealing with groin issues for years and has had to pay extra attention since undergoing hernia surgery in 2008.
"It's an area I have to stay on top of every day," he said. "With all the running and practicing, it usually gives me problem during training camp. I usually break free of it during the season, because I'm able to get a lot more rest on it."
Williams dismissed the notion that he'd rather face his former team and sit out against the Lakers.
"I don't like sitting out at all," he said. "It's preseason. It's all about us. I love playing ... If it's the Lakers or Clippers, it doesn't matter. I'm 10 years into the league. I don't have vendettas against teams that I want to play."
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44