Salt Lake City boy dies after near drowning in Park City
SALT LAKE CITY — A 4-year-old boy who almost drowned in a Park City pool over the weekend died Monday night.
Miles Kelly was swimming with family members at the Montage Deer Valley Resort on Saturday afternoon when relatives say he somehow slipped out of the flotation wings he was wearing and ended up at the bottom of the pool.
The Salt Lake City family was attending a family reunion at the resort and was surrounded by relatives at the time of the accident. A 5-year-old cousin in the pool told her mother Miles was underwater just before 4 p.m.
Weston Lunsford, the boy's uncle, spoke on behalf of the family Monday night. The boy passed away just before 5 p.m. due to medical complications resulting from the near drowning, he said.
Miles was taken from the resort by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center and had been in intensive care since the accident, Lunsford said. The boy never regained consciousness.
Relatives and resort staff performed CPR on the boy until emergency personnel from the Park City Fire Department arrived on scene. After another 15 minutes of CPR, emergency responders reported Miles' heart was beating.
Security footage from the resort shows the boy swimming toward his cousins in the pool, then slipping beneath the water, Lunsford said.
"We've always in our minds thought when someone drowns there's a big noise and its chaotic and there's a lot of splashing," he said. "We've been told by several people that's never the case. … I'm not sure how he was missed by any of us."
Lunsford described his nephew as a loving big brother who adored stuffed animals.
"He loved hiking with his parents and being outdoors," Lunsford said. "He had a special, special bond with his mother and father."
An account has been set up in Miles Kelly's name for donations to help the family with medical costs, Lunsford said. Donations can be made at any Zions Bank.
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- Woman forgives ex-boyfriend for shooting her,...
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- Compost fire in South Salt Lake closes roads,...
- American Fork teen drowning victim identified
- Utahns' satisfaction with downtown Salt Lake...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 62
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 44
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 44
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 41
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 34
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 29
- Officer who killed family had dark... 24
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or... 24