UVU volleyball: Norris and Stringham sweep GWC Player of the Week awards
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Utah Valley University's Kalani Norris and Lauren Stringham have been named Great West Conference Volleyball Players of the Week after outstanding performances last week. The honors were announced Monday by the conference office.
Norris took the offensive award after helping the Wolverines to two five-set victories last week, leading her team with 36 kills for the week, a solid .333 attack percentage and a 3.60 kill per set average. In the first contest of the week, Norris helped UVU close out a 12-match road stretch with an 8-4 record by coming from behind to defeat in-state rival Utah State for the third straight time on Tuesday. The sophomore from Panguitch, Utah, led the Wolverines with a match-high 15 kills against the Aggies and a .357 hitting percentage. Norris then helped UVU stay undefeated in Great West Conference play with a victory over NJIT on Saturday. She led the way again versus the Highlanders with career-high 21 kills and a .320 attack percentage.
The defensive honor went to Stringham who led the Wolverines in blocks in the two wins, totaling 16 blocks for a solid 1.60 block per set average. The freshman from Kaysville, Utah, put up seven block assists at Utah State and recorded nine block assists against the Highlanders. In addition to her stellar defense, Stringham also registered 12 kills in each victory.
The conference honor is Norris' first of her career and Stringham's second of the season after she previously won the award on Aug. 27.
Other offensive nominees for this week's honor included Sydney Van Munster (Chicago State), Victoria Weatherly (Houston Baptist) and Michelle McNamee (Texas-Pan American). Others nominated for the defensive award were Mysta Townsell (Chicago State), Esther Longoria (Houston Baptist) and Juri Franzen (Texas-Pan American).
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41