UVU volleyball: Norris and Stringham sweep GWC Player of the Week awards
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Utah Valley University's Kalani Norris and Lauren Stringham have been named Great West Conference Volleyball Players of the Week after outstanding performances last week. The honors were announced Monday by the conference office.
Norris took the offensive award after helping the Wolverines to two five-set victories last week, leading her team with 36 kills for the week, a solid .333 attack percentage and a 3.60 kill per set average. In the first contest of the week, Norris helped UVU close out a 12-match road stretch with an 8-4 record by coming from behind to defeat in-state rival Utah State for the third straight time on Tuesday. The sophomore from Panguitch, Utah, led the Wolverines with a match-high 15 kills against the Aggies and a .357 hitting percentage. Norris then helped UVU stay undefeated in Great West Conference play with a victory over NJIT on Saturday. She led the way again versus the Highlanders with career-high 21 kills and a .320 attack percentage.
The defensive honor went to Stringham who led the Wolverines in blocks in the two wins, totaling 16 blocks for a solid 1.60 block per set average. The freshman from Kaysville, Utah, put up seven block assists at Utah State and recorded nine block assists against the Highlanders. In addition to her stellar defense, Stringham also registered 12 kills in each victory.
The conference honor is Norris' first of her career and Stringham's second of the season after she previously won the award on Aug. 27.
Other offensive nominees for this week's honor included Sydney Van Munster (Chicago State), Victoria Weatherly (Houston Baptist) and Michelle McNamee (Texas-Pan American). Others nominated for the defensive award were Mysta Townsell (Chicago State), Esther Longoria (Houston Baptist) and Juri Franzen (Texas-Pan American).
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 31
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22