The second set was tied three times, the last time coming at four points apiece, before a 5-0 spurt by Utah gave the home team a 9-4 advantage. The Sun Devils responded with three straight scores of their own, but the Utes maintained their five-point lead (16-11) and their lead would grow to as many as nine (22-12). The Utes went on to pick up the second-set win over Arizona State by a 25-16 margin as Schofield had five kills and the Utes hit .414 in the frame, while Arizona State posted a .125 clip. The Utes are now 8-0 when winning the first two sets of a match in 2012.
ASU took three of the first four points in the third frame, but Utah quickly came back to even things at three points apiece. There would be five more ties, the last one coming at eight points apiece, but Utah would eventually edge out to a 12-9 advantage. The Utes led by as many as four (17-13), but ASU re-tied the set for the eighth time at 21 points apiece. Utah took the next two points to climb to a 23-21 edge on the way to a 25-22 victory to clinch the match. Morgan Odale and Dalton had four kills apiece in the finale as Utah outhit ASU in the third set, .355 to .217, and also claimed a 4.0 to 1.0 margin in team blocks.
Arizona State (13-8, 2-6 Pac-12) received 14 kills from Eric Wilson, while Macey Gardner was credited with 12 kills and a team-high eight digs.
The Utes head to Los Angeles next week for a pair of road matches at No. 7 UCLA on Wednesday at 7 p.m., and at No.6 USC on Friday at 6 p.m. PT. Both matches will be televised live on Pac-12 Network with Anne Marie Anderson (PBP) and Holly McPeak (Analyst) calling the action.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33