“I figure I’m going to rely on the (various) sources and we’re hoping she can get some scholarships and/or financial aid to pay for her college,” McAfee said. “Between savings, scholarships, loans and if she got a summer job to help pay a little bit, the costs should be covered.”
Saving money is a choice
For the Robertsons, the sacrifices became a part of the family lifestyle.
While they still wanted to the typical family entertainment activities together, they did so in a frugal way to save money wherever they could.
“We liked to do things like go to the movies,” Judge Robertson explained. “We said that instead of going to first run movies, the only movies we’re going to see will be at the “dollar” theaters. And we even cut that further by going on Mondays when it was only 75 cents.”
Rather than spend $50 to $60 per outing two or three times per month, they saved over $100 monthly on movies alone.When they went to theater performances, they sat in the balcony rather than on the main floor in the orchestra pit and used the kids student ID’s to get any available discounts.
“We’re still doing some of the same things, but at a much lower cost,” she said.
Regarding family vacations, instead of going on several trips during the year, they would take one annual family vacation.
“It’s a gift that we give ourselves and our children … since 2003,” Robertson said. “The little “side” trips, we don’t do.”
By making the sacrifices, they still did fun things together, but chose to do those activities in a way that would benefit the family’s long-term educational goals, she said. The family saved thousands of dollars over the years, and today the children are reaping the rewards, she said.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20