“I figure I’m going to rely on the (various) sources and we’re hoping she can get some scholarships and/or financial aid to pay for her college,” McAfee said. “Between savings, scholarships, loans and if she got a summer job to help pay a little bit, the costs should be covered.”
Saving money is a choice
For the Robertsons, the sacrifices became a part of the family lifestyle.
While they still wanted to the typical family entertainment activities together, they did so in a frugal way to save money wherever they could.
“We liked to do things like go to the movies,” Judge Robertson explained. “We said that instead of going to first run movies, the only movies we’re going to see will be at the “dollar” theaters. And we even cut that further by going on Mondays when it was only 75 cents.”
Rather than spend $50 to $60 per outing two or three times per month, they saved over $100 monthly on movies alone.When they went to theater performances, they sat in the balcony rather than on the main floor in the orchestra pit and used the kids student ID’s to get any available discounts.
“We’re still doing some of the same things, but at a much lower cost,” she said.
Regarding family vacations, instead of going on several trips during the year, they would take one annual family vacation.
“It’s a gift that we give ourselves and our children … since 2003,” Robertson said. “The little “side” trips, we don’t do.”
By making the sacrifices, they still did fun things together, but chose to do those activities in a way that would benefit the family’s long-term educational goals, she said. The family saved thousands of dollars over the years, and today the children are reaping the rewards, she said.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Charges: Man murdered woman who had been...
- Elderly man hit, killed after chasing dog...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 35
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 12
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12