Westminster men's soccer: Griffins beat Rocky, 1-0, on Senior Day
SALT LAKE CITY– The Westminster College men’s soccer team recorded a big 1-0 win over Rocky Mountain (Mont.) at Dumke Field on Sunday afternoon in Frontier Conference action.
Westminster improves to 10-4-1 overall this season and is now level with Rocky Mountain (10-2-1, 1-1-0) and Great Falls in the Frontier Conference standings with matching 1-1 marks.
Neither team managed much offense in the first half with both taking three shots. The Griffins would break through in the 68th minute as Ryan Holmes carried the ball down the end line and sent a cross to the top of the six-yard box where Jace Maxfield got his foot on the ball and put a shot in the net. It was the third goal of the season for Maxfield and his first game-winner.
Both teams had opportunities in the second half but failed to finish. Rocky twice had shots hit the post from inside the penalty in the half. Westminster also had a chance when Manuel Duenas carried the ball into the penalty area and sent a cross to Ryan Smith at the top of the six. Smith couldn’t get much on the shot, and it was saved by Rocky’s keeper.
Westminster attempted seven shots in the game with three on goal. Maxfield had two of those shots with both of his shots on frame. Rocky fired eight shots and also put three on goal. Nathan Young earned his fifth win and first shutout of the season by making three saves for the Griffins.
These two teams will play again Friday in Billings, Mont. The first game of a season-ending three-game road swing for the Griffins begins at 3:30 p.m.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 93
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 87
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 75
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31