Westminster men's soccer: Griffins beat Rocky, 1-0, on Senior Day
SALT LAKE CITY– The Westminster College men’s soccer team recorded a big 1-0 win over Rocky Mountain (Mont.) at Dumke Field on Sunday afternoon in Frontier Conference action.
Westminster improves to 10-4-1 overall this season and is now level with Rocky Mountain (10-2-1, 1-1-0) and Great Falls in the Frontier Conference standings with matching 1-1 marks.
Neither team managed much offense in the first half with both taking three shots. The Griffins would break through in the 68th minute as Ryan Holmes carried the ball down the end line and sent a cross to the top of the six-yard box where Jace Maxfield got his foot on the ball and put a shot in the net. It was the third goal of the season for Maxfield and his first game-winner.
Both teams had opportunities in the second half but failed to finish. Rocky twice had shots hit the post from inside the penalty in the half. Westminster also had a chance when Manuel Duenas carried the ball into the penalty area and sent a cross to Ryan Smith at the top of the six. Smith couldn’t get much on the shot, and it was saved by Rocky’s keeper.
Westminster attempted seven shots in the game with three on goal. Maxfield had two of those shots with both of his shots on frame. Rocky fired eight shots and also put three on goal. Nathan Young earned his fifth win and first shutout of the season by making three saves for the Griffins.
These two teams will play again Friday in Billings, Mont. The first game of a season-ending three-game road swing for the Griffins begins at 3:30 p.m.
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Best of the West: Arizona back to top seed...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 107
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 80
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 40
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 38
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 35
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 33