Westminster men's soccer: Griffins beat Rocky, 1-0, on Senior Day
SALT LAKE CITY– The Westminster College men’s soccer team recorded a big 1-0 win over Rocky Mountain (Mont.) at Dumke Field on Sunday afternoon in Frontier Conference action.
Westminster improves to 10-4-1 overall this season and is now level with Rocky Mountain (10-2-1, 1-1-0) and Great Falls in the Frontier Conference standings with matching 1-1 marks.
Neither team managed much offense in the first half with both taking three shots. The Griffins would break through in the 68th minute as Ryan Holmes carried the ball down the end line and sent a cross to the top of the six-yard box where Jace Maxfield got his foot on the ball and put a shot in the net. It was the third goal of the season for Maxfield and his first game-winner.
Both teams had opportunities in the second half but failed to finish. Rocky twice had shots hit the post from inside the penalty in the half. Westminster also had a chance when Manuel Duenas carried the ball into the penalty area and sent a cross to Ryan Smith at the top of the six. Smith couldn’t get much on the shot, and it was saved by Rocky’s keeper.
Westminster attempted seven shots in the game with three on goal. Maxfield had two of those shots with both of his shots on frame. Rocky fired eight shots and also put three on goal. Nathan Young earned his fifth win and first shutout of the season by making three saves for the Griffins.
These two teams will play again Friday in Billings, Mont. The first game of a season-ending three-game road swing for the Griffins begins at 3:30 p.m.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34