Westminster soccer: Women’s soccer earns 2-2 draw against Rocky
SALT LAKE CITY – The 24th-ranked Westminster College women’s soccer team came away with a 2-2 tie against Rocky Mountain (Mont.) at Dumke Field on Sunday afternoon in Frontier Conference action.
With the draw, Westminster is now 10-3-1 overall this season and moves to 2-1-1 in Frontier Conference play. Rocky is now 10-0-2 on the year and remains in a virtual tie with the Griffins with a 1-0-1 record in league games.
Rocky would take an early 1-0 lead just before halftime on a goal by Jaelene Zygmond. Lauren Brophy flicked the ball to the feet of Zygmond for a shot from 20 yards out that hit the right post and bounced into the goal in the 41st minute.
The Griffins would strike in the 55th minute to level the score at 1-1. Alyssa Hill played a ball across the field to the feet of Justine Jones streaking down the right side. Jones would then take one touch and send it back across the penalty to a waiting Jaime Nelson who fired a shot into the net for her fifth goal of the season.
Westminster would take a 2-1 lead in the 82nd minute after Rylei North fired a shot just inside the near post from 20 yards out for her 10th goal of the year. Amanda Peppers played the ball to North on a throw-in to record the assist.
Rocky would tally the equalizer in the 87th minute as Kirsty Montignani blasted a shot from a direct kick from 25 yards out that went just below the crossbar.
Westminster finished the afternoon with a 20-14 edge in shots attempted and put 10 of those shots on frame. Margo Hickman led the Griffins with five shot attempts, while North had three shots. Dayna Winter-Nolte recorded five saves to earn the tie in the final start at home in her career.
The Griffins will now end the season with four straight road games. The first of that stretch comes Friday when these same two teams meet in Billings, Mont., at 1 p.m.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32