Westminster soccer: Women’s soccer earns 2-2 draw against Rocky
SALT LAKE CITY – The 24th-ranked Westminster College women’s soccer team came away with a 2-2 tie against Rocky Mountain (Mont.) at Dumke Field on Sunday afternoon in Frontier Conference action.
With the draw, Westminster is now 10-3-1 overall this season and moves to 2-1-1 in Frontier Conference play. Rocky is now 10-0-2 on the year and remains in a virtual tie with the Griffins with a 1-0-1 record in league games.
Rocky would take an early 1-0 lead just before halftime on a goal by Jaelene Zygmond. Lauren Brophy flicked the ball to the feet of Zygmond for a shot from 20 yards out that hit the right post and bounced into the goal in the 41st minute.
The Griffins would strike in the 55th minute to level the score at 1-1. Alyssa Hill played a ball across the field to the feet of Justine Jones streaking down the right side. Jones would then take one touch and send it back across the penalty to a waiting Jaime Nelson who fired a shot into the net for her fifth goal of the season.
Westminster would take a 2-1 lead in the 82nd minute after Rylei North fired a shot just inside the near post from 20 yards out for her 10th goal of the year. Amanda Peppers played the ball to North on a throw-in to record the assist.
Rocky would tally the equalizer in the 87th minute as Kirsty Montignani blasted a shot from a direct kick from 25 yards out that went just below the crossbar.
Westminster finished the afternoon with a 20-14 edge in shots attempted and put 10 of those shots on frame. Margo Hickman led the Griffins with five shot attempts, while North had three shots. Dayna Winter-Nolte recorded five saves to earn the tie in the final start at home in her career.
The Griffins will now end the season with four straight road games. The first of that stretch comes Friday when these same two teams meet in Billings, Mont., at 1 p.m.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41