Stevens said the company has begun work on visual simulations following the city's request. "I don't think anyone has denied that the turbines will be seen from some areas of Monticello," Stevens said. "But from much or most of the populated areas of the city, the views of the wind farm would be obstructed by trees, other buildings and topography."
Janet Ross, executive director of the Four Corners School of Outdoor Education, is a strong supporter of the wind farm project and welcomes it as a clean energy project. But she wants a little more breathing room, especially for the non-profit group's new Discovery Center under development at the north end of Monticello.
"I will continue to push for that because I think for aesthetics, for safety, for noise, it needs to be a little further away. And that's what town people are concerned about too. They don't want flicker-shadows in their windows (from sunlight glinting off the windmills.) They don't want ice-balls flung at them."
Wasatch Wind originally told her the nearest windmill would be less than a half mile from the Discovery Center. But she believes the company is working hard to adjust their plans to accommodate such concerns, partly to make the development project a better sell to wind-farm builders.
"They want to sell a package to somebody that has happy neighbors," Ross said. "That's their goal or no one's going to buy it."
Stevens echoed that point. "It's also important to note that we've been in contact with these landowners for the last several months to find solutions that address their concerns."
- Q-and-A with Vale Hale: a 'pretty...
- Rebate or tax credit? Clean air proposal...
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Study: Apple's new iPhones score big in...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Remembering the most brilliant man in the room
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 4
- Rebate or tax credit? Clean air... 3
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs 2
- Where’s the app for an earthquake... 2
- Bus ads bringing thousands of dollars... 2