Stevens said the company has begun work on visual simulations following the city's request. "I don't think anyone has denied that the turbines will be seen from some areas of Monticello," Stevens said. "But from much or most of the populated areas of the city, the views of the wind farm would be obstructed by trees, other buildings and topography."
Janet Ross, executive director of the Four Corners School of Outdoor Education, is a strong supporter of the wind farm project and welcomes it as a clean energy project. But she wants a little more breathing room, especially for the non-profit group's new Discovery Center under development at the north end of Monticello.
"I will continue to push for that because I think for aesthetics, for safety, for noise, it needs to be a little further away. And that's what town people are concerned about too. They don't want flicker-shadows in their windows (from sunlight glinting off the windmills.) They don't want ice-balls flung at them."
Wasatch Wind originally told her the nearest windmill would be less than a half mile from the Discovery Center. But she believes the company is working hard to adjust their plans to accommodate such concerns, partly to make the development project a better sell to wind-farm builders.
"They want to sell a package to somebody that has happy neighbors," Ross said. "That's their goal or no one's going to buy it."
Stevens echoed that point. "It's also important to note that we've been in contact with these landowners for the last several months to find solutions that address their concerns."
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right to...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- 1 number you should check each year to avoid...
- The key ingredient to a more fulfilling life
- Mountain Point Medical Center opens in Lehi
- Why the presidential candidate who won't win...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget together
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 21
- Derek B. Miller: Politics may end up... 17
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- How strict should parents really be? 5
- More jobs are available, but new grads... 5
- Media CEOs are the highest-paid... 3
- Chobani founder and CEO Hamdi Ulukaya... 1