Stevens said the company has begun work on visual simulations following the city's request. "I don't think anyone has denied that the turbines will be seen from some areas of Monticello," Stevens said. "But from much or most of the populated areas of the city, the views of the wind farm would be obstructed by trees, other buildings and topography."
Janet Ross, executive director of the Four Corners School of Outdoor Education, is a strong supporter of the wind farm project and welcomes it as a clean energy project. But she wants a little more breathing room, especially for the non-profit group's new Discovery Center under development at the north end of Monticello.
"I will continue to push for that because I think for aesthetics, for safety, for noise, it needs to be a little further away. And that's what town people are concerned about too. They don't want flicker-shadows in their windows (from sunlight glinting off the windmills.) They don't want ice-balls flung at them."
Wasatch Wind originally told her the nearest windmill would be less than a half mile from the Discovery Center. But she believes the company is working hard to adjust their plans to accommodate such concerns, partly to make the development project a better sell to wind-farm builders.
"They want to sell a package to somebody that has happy neighbors," Ross said. "That's their goal or no one's going to buy it."
Stevens echoed that point. "It's also important to note that we've been in contact with these landowners for the last several months to find solutions that address their concerns."
- Housing recovery slowest since World War II,...
- Another year, another small Social Security bump
- Fire exposes illegal Chinese factories in Italy
- Developer to build replica major league...
- Millennials may do career and home life...
- Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen says US...
- NC-based FairPoint poised for growth after...
- Dave Ramsey says: Rehabbing your house for...
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 11
- US jobless aid applications fall to... 5
- Audit cites 'inadequate oversight' in... 5
- How students are engaging textbook... 4
- Millennials may do career and home life... 3
- Another year, another small Social... 2
- HBO unleashes streaming from cable... 1
- Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen says... 1