USU soccer: Aggies close out regular-season road schedule at Idaho on Sunday
First-place Utah State soccer concludes its regular-season road schedule against Idaho on Sunday, Oct. 14 in Moscow, Idaho, at 2 p.m. (MT).
Utah State improved to 8-2-6 overall and 3-0-2 in Western Athletic Conference play with a dramatic, 2-1, overtime win over regionally-ranked Seattle on the road on Friday. Freshman forward Maris Hamblin knocked in the game-winning goal with just over a minute remaining in the first overtime to give the Aggies the win. Against the Redhawks, junior defender Jackie Tilotson and Hamblin both scored their first goals as Aggies.
Utah State leads the all-times series with Idaho, 13-1. Last season, the Aggies defeated the Vandals twice; once in the regular season, 3-0, in Moscow and, 1-0, at the WAC Tournament in Fresno. The Vandals one win against the Aggies came in 2001 when both schools were members of the Big West Conference. Idaho defeated USU, 3-2, in double overtime in Logan.
Idaho is 4-11-1 overall this season and 1-2-1 in WAC play with a win against San Jose State to go along with losses to Texas State and Seattle and a tie against UTSA. The Vandals are led by Chelsea Small who has five goals and one assist for 11 points this season. Like USU, the Vandals primarily use one goalkeeper in Liz Boyden. She has allowed 34 goals this season for a 2.07 GAA this season.
With the win on Friday, Utah State retained its spot in first place in the WAC with 11 points. Denver is second with eight points, while Louisiana Tech and Seattle are tied for third with seven.
With an assist against Seattle on Friday, junior forward Mari Miyashiro now leads the team in points scored with 11 off of three goals and five assists. Junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn is second on the team in points scored with five goals for 10 points.
Next week, USU returns home for a single match. The Aggies take on San Jose State on Friday, Oct. 19 at 3 p.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 29
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 20
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8