Supporters release song in advance of Susan Powell's birthday
Songwriter said words came to her following a spiritual dream
What happened to Susan Powell was not a common situation, but Graves said told the girls it is important to understand their personal boundaries that will help "keep the good in and keep the bad out." She also explained that each girl has the power to control her attitude, feelings, beliefs, choices and limits.
"We own our own thoughts," she said. "We are responsible for what we think."
She talked about the importance of having a close, outside support group even when in a relationship and being aware of negative behaviors that can't be addressed and improved upon.
"They should be moving in a positive direction, making progress, changing," Graves said.
After the singing was over, Graves, Morrison, Susan Powell's best friend Kiirsi Hellewell and Debbie Caldwell, who provided childcare services for the two Powell boys, sat in a room talking about the song, about Susan, her children, change and all that they have endured together.
Morrison said the song basically wrote itself and she mostly just had to listen.
Hellewell said she'd like to see changes in laws that would keep children from parents who are suspects or persons of interest in a spouse's death.
Graves said she believes angels were there to protect Charlie and Braden before they died.
And Caldwell said she thanks heaven they have each other.
"This is the legacy that's left," she said, indicating the tearful women around her as her own eyes filled to the brim. "We don't want anybody to live what we've lived."
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- 10 Utahns charged in alleged identity theft...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry for...
- Sandy man beat woman, tried to put her in an...
- 6-year-old recounts terror of man breaking...
- UVU hopes to become 'national leader' with...
- Man stabbed in downtown Salt Lake near Temple...
- Feds to drop some charges in Jeremy Johnson...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 58
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 40
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 30
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 14
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 12