Supporters release song in advance of Susan Powell's birthday
Songwriter said words came to her following a spiritual dream
What happened to Susan Powell was not a common situation, but Graves said told the girls it is important to understand their personal boundaries that will help "keep the good in and keep the bad out." She also explained that each girl has the power to control her attitude, feelings, beliefs, choices and limits.
"We own our own thoughts," she said. "We are responsible for what we think."
She talked about the importance of having a close, outside support group even when in a relationship and being aware of negative behaviors that can't be addressed and improved upon.
"They should be moving in a positive direction, making progress, changing," Graves said.
After the singing was over, Graves, Morrison, Susan Powell's best friend Kiirsi Hellewell and Debbie Caldwell, who provided childcare services for the two Powell boys, sat in a room talking about the song, about Susan, her children, change and all that they have endured together.
Morrison said the song basically wrote itself and she mostly just had to listen.
Hellewell said she'd like to see changes in laws that would keep children from parents who are suspects or persons of interest in a spouse's death.
Graves said she believes angels were there to protect Charlie and Braden before they died.
And Caldwell said she thanks heaven they have each other.
"This is the legacy that's left," she said, indicating the tearful women around her as her own eyes filled to the brim. "We don't want anybody to live what we've lived."
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- Man shot in crowded Liberty Park during...
- See all the photos from the big Pioneer Day...
- Salt Lake man shoots 8-year-old boy, then...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 84
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17