SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College women’s volleyball team fell just short against No. 25 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) on Saturday afternoon in the Behnken Field House. It was the first time this season Westminster has dropped a match that has gone five sets.
Westminster falls to 13-8 overall and 6-4 in the Frontier Conference with the 25-33, 30-32, 25-17, 14-15, 13-15 loss. Lewis-Clark State improves to 12-7 and 8-2 with the win.
The back-and-forth match featured 35 ties and 18 lead changes. There were 19 ties and 13 changes in the opening set alone. Westminster finished with 64 kills and hit .180 including a 23 kill performance during the first set. The Griffins also recorded four service aces and 82 digs. Defensively the Griffins used 9.5 blocks to hold LCSC to .173 hitting despite 72 kills.
Alexis Aalona led Westminster with 16 kills and had a double-double with 11 digs, while hitting .286. Ashley Marchant also recorded a double-double with 15 kills and 13 digs one day after becoming the first Griffin to go 20-20 since 2008. Emily Atkinson gave the Griffins three players with a double-double behind a 49 assist and 19 dig outing. Kyndall Kordakis added 18 digs.
Treneisha Doyle led the Warriors with 18 kills, and Niurka Toribio finished with 16 kills and four service aces. Kaylee Rector had 32 digs from her libero position.
The Griffins will now take to the road for four matches that start on Oct. 20 against Montana Western. They are not back in the Behnken Field House until Nov. 3.
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 55
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 44
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42