Credit union employee charged with stealing thousands from customers
SALT LAKE CITY — An Eagle Mountain man has been charged with stealing more than $25,000 from customers while an employee of Mountain America Credit Union.
Travis Ryan Jenkins, 25, was charged in 3rd District Court Friday with communications fraud and theft, both second-degree felonies.
In August 2011 a withdrawal transaction at the credit union's Glendale branch, 1225 S. Redwood Road, was disputed. After reviewing the video of the transaction, Jenkins was identified as standing at the window with the teller who conducted the transaction, according to the charges.
After further investigation, prosecutors say it was discovered that other disputed withdrawals from the Glendale branch were linked to Jenkins.
In total, Mountain America Credit Union's risk manager Cathy Smoyer contacted 17 account holders and all of them said that the withdrawals were unauthorized.
Jenkins is accused of stealing more than $27,250 between April 2011 and August 2011.
A West Jordan police detective said Jenkins told him that he would approach a teller and tell them that he had a customer who wanted money. The teller would then withdraw the money from the accounts and give it to Jenkins. He would keep it and deposit it a few days later, the charges state.
He also allegedly admitted to altering email addresses on the accounts so that customers wouldn't be informed of the transactions.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 17
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10