Credit union employee charged with stealing thousands from customers
SALT LAKE CITY — An Eagle Mountain man has been charged with stealing more than $25,000 from customers while an employee of Mountain America Credit Union.
Travis Ryan Jenkins, 25, was charged in 3rd District Court Friday with communications fraud and theft, both second-degree felonies.
In August 2011 a withdrawal transaction at the credit union's Glendale branch, 1225 S. Redwood Road, was disputed. After reviewing the video of the transaction, Jenkins was identified as standing at the window with the teller who conducted the transaction, according to the charges.
After further investigation, prosecutors say it was discovered that other disputed withdrawals from the Glendale branch were linked to Jenkins.
In total, Mountain America Credit Union's risk manager Cathy Smoyer contacted 17 account holders and all of them said that the withdrawals were unauthorized.
Jenkins is accused of stealing more than $27,250 between April 2011 and August 2011.
A West Jordan police detective said Jenkins told him that he would approach a teller and tell them that he had a customer who wanted money. The teller would then withdraw the money from the accounts and give it to Jenkins. He would keep it and deposit it a few days later, the charges state.
He also allegedly admitted to altering email addresses on the accounts so that customers wouldn't be informed of the transactions.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 111
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20