Credit union employee charged with stealing thousands from customers
SALT LAKE CITY — An Eagle Mountain man has been charged with stealing more than $25,000 from customers while an employee of Mountain America Credit Union.
Travis Ryan Jenkins, 25, was charged in 3rd District Court Friday with communications fraud and theft, both second-degree felonies.
In August 2011 a withdrawal transaction at the credit union's Glendale branch, 1225 S. Redwood Road, was disputed. After reviewing the video of the transaction, Jenkins was identified as standing at the window with the teller who conducted the transaction, according to the charges.
After further investigation, prosecutors say it was discovered that other disputed withdrawals from the Glendale branch were linked to Jenkins.
In total, Mountain America Credit Union's risk manager Cathy Smoyer contacted 17 account holders and all of them said that the withdrawals were unauthorized.
Jenkins is accused of stealing more than $27,250 between April 2011 and August 2011.
A West Jordan police detective said Jenkins told him that he would approach a teller and tell them that he had a customer who wanted money. The teller would then withdraw the money from the accounts and give it to Jenkins. He would keep it and deposit it a few days later, the charges state.
He also allegedly admitted to altering email addresses on the accounts so that customers wouldn't be informed of the transactions.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Historic Salt Lake building now home to...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Man dies in paragliding crash on Utah Lake
- Jury convicts San Juan County commissioner...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 124
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19