Credit union employee charged with stealing thousands from customers
SALT LAKE CITY — An Eagle Mountain man has been charged with stealing more than $25,000 from customers while an employee of Mountain America Credit Union.
Travis Ryan Jenkins, 25, was charged in 3rd District Court Friday with communications fraud and theft, both second-degree felonies.
In August 2011 a withdrawal transaction at the credit union's Glendale branch, 1225 S. Redwood Road, was disputed. After reviewing the video of the transaction, Jenkins was identified as standing at the window with the teller who conducted the transaction, according to the charges.
After further investigation, prosecutors say it was discovered that other disputed withdrawals from the Glendale branch were linked to Jenkins.
In total, Mountain America Credit Union's risk manager Cathy Smoyer contacted 17 account holders and all of them said that the withdrawals were unauthorized.
Jenkins is accused of stealing more than $27,250 between April 2011 and August 2011.
A West Jordan police detective said Jenkins told him that he would approach a teller and tell them that he had a customer who wanted money. The teller would then withdraw the money from the accounts and give it to Jenkins. He would keep it and deposit it a few days later, the charges state.
He also allegedly admitted to altering email addresses on the accounts so that customers wouldn't be informed of the transactions.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 66
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18