Utah Utes football: Utes start Travis Wilson, trail UCLA 14-7 at halftime
The Utes’ only score came on a Bruin mistake when returner Steven Manfro muffed a punt that was recovered by Utah’s Ryan Lacy in the end zone.
The Utes started Wilson in place of Jon Hays and he began with a couple of first downs before a tipped pass was intercepted by Andrew Abbott. From there, the Bruins methodically drove 69 yards in 13 plays with quarterback Brett Hundley going the final 12 yards for the score.
After the Bruins stopped the Utes on their next drive, the Utes scored a touchdown thanks to the leg of punter Sean Sellwood. His booming punt, drove Manfro backwards 20 yards and when he muffed it at the 3-yard line, Utah’s Lacy was able to pounce on the ball in the end zone for a touchdown.
However, the Utah defense couldn’t hold and it took the Bruins just three plays to score on a 64-yard pass from Hundley to Shaquille Evans after safety Eric Rowe dove for the ball and left Evans with a clear path to the end zone.
After that the U. defense buckled down and forced punts on the Bruins’ next two drives, but the offense couldn’t score.
For the half, the Utes gained 150 yards, while UCLA has 195 yards. UCLA had 10 first downs to eight for the Utes.
The Ute defense has done a great job of shutting down Johnathan Franklin, the seventh-leading rusher in the nation, holding him just to 26 yards on nine carries. John White has 44 yards on 10 carries for Utah.
Wilson completed 9 of 15 passes for 80 yards with Dres Anderson catching four passes for 22 yards.
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 57
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 55
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 54
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 37
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 15