Westminster volleyball: Career night from Ashley Marchant leads to Griffins victory
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College women’s volleyball team remained perfect in five set matches with a 3-2 win over Rocky Mountain (Mont.) on Friday evening in the Behnken Field House.
Westminster improves to 13-7 overall and 6-3 in the Frontier Conference with the 25-14, 19-25, 25-23, 22-25, 17-15 victory. The loss drops Rocky to 8-15 and 4-6.
Ashley Marchant had a career-high 22 kills in the match to lead all players. The senior matched her career high with four service aces and also posted 22 digs to lead four Griffins in double figures in that category. She helped the team come back from an early deficit in the fifth set with five kills in the frame while hitting .307.
The Griffins had 63 kills in the match and hit .134. They matched a season-high with 14 blocks and held Rocky to .094 hitting and 52 kills. Westminster added five aces and 86 digs, while Rocky had just one ace and 89 digs.
Emily Atkinson finished with 55 assists and a career-high 21 digs. Alexis Aalona recorded 14 kills, 13 digs and seven blocks with Katie Vance going for 12 kills and seven blocks. Kyndal Kordakis had 16 digs, and Stephanie Jones Morin contributed six kills and six blocks.
Westminster held Rocky to -.059 hitting in the first set and then .073 and .000 in the third and fifth, respectively. The Griffins hit .171 in the opening stanza and were above .125 in every set but the fifth. Westminster is now 5-0 this season in matches that go to a fifth set. The Griffins are also 12-0 when they win the first set.
Ahlea Billis led Rocky with 16 kills on a .143 hitting night. She added 13 digs to give her a double-double, while also posting one ace. Anna Dewald had 13 kills, and Jamie Ellenbaas recorded 23 digs.
Westminster will next face No. 25 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) on Saturday at 2 p.m. in the Behnken Field House. It is Breast Cancer Awareness Day with all fans wearing pink receiving 2-for-1 admission.
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Carter Williams: Steph Curry is becoming...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 113
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37