Tom Lynn, AP
New research reveals a correlation between political affiliation and what people watch on TV.
"Registered Republicans are very interested in golf," Bill Carter wrote for the New York Times' Media Decoder blog on Thursday evening. "As for registered Democrats, they seem to be partial to cartoons. And Republicans tend to watch NCAA basketball, while Democrats prefer the National Basketball Association."
TRA Inc. provided the research Carter cited. The information — which isn't publicly available — comes from 186,846 households with TiVo set-top boxes that researchers were able to match up to voter-registration records.
Carter further reported the Republican list included NASCAR and reality TV shows such as "American Idol," "Survivor," "The Biggest Loser" and "The Amazing Race." Democrats, on the other hand, tended to watch sitcoms such as "Community" and "30 Rock," as well as animated programs like "Family Guy," "American Dad" and "The Cleveland Show."
By Friday morning, Carter had followed up his Media Decoder post with a separate entry on the Times' The Caucus blog that focused on which news broadcasts Republicans and Democrats prefer. For example, "the Fox News audience is tilted Republican by 44 percent above the base of registered voters nationwide. The number for MSNBC is almost the same for Democratic voters, a 43 percent skew."
TRA is an analytics firm that TiVo purchased in June for a reported $20 million. At the time of the transaction, the firm kept its acronymic name — but changed the underlying meaning from "The Right Audience" to "TiVo Research and Analytics."
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Sexual harassment? Colorado school suspends...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Health care debate about presidential trust,...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 119
- Space and religion: How believers view... 23
- Health care debate about presidential... 22
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- The American Dream is still alive for... 10
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 9