USU football: Utah State senior defensive back Terrence Alston uses childhood experiences to balance life as a student-athlete
Now in his second season at Utah State, Alston’s transformation as a football player continues as he has moved up the depth chart and is now a fixture at cornerback for the Aggies, utilizing the skills he developed as a youngster on both the football field and baseball diamond.
As he finishes his collegiate career, Alston is looking forward to the future. As he moves on, he had a simple philosophy to leave with the younger players.
“I know it’s a grind. I know it’s hard, but at the end of the day this is it; this is going to make you a man. Just get out here,” Alston said. “I know some days you don’t want to come out here and do the same thing over and over again, but that’s life so just take it in and cherish it. Get better.”
Alston said one of the biggest forces behind his motivation to succeed is the coaching staff.
“I just can’t stop talking about coach Andersen. It’s what he’s done; he’s just influenced us,” Alston said. “We don’t want to let him down. We just want to keep the pedal to the medal and keep pushing for him.”
Alston will graduate in December with a bachelor’s degree in sociology. Like so many players, he hopes to take his athletic talents to the next level. Eventually, he plans to return to California. He intends to receive a master’s degree in business management from Sacramento State and wants to pursue a career in real estate.
“Dedication. Commitment. Courage. There are a number of things I’ve learned playing football that I can continue to use,” Alston said. “It’s just getting me ready for life; the hard work every day.”
Megan Allen writes for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25