DVD review: 'The San Fransico 49ers: Team of the '80s' appeals to both football and non-football fans
Gaiam Vivendi Entertainment
Released a month ago, “The San Francisco 49ers: Team of the '80s” is an interesting and well-produced film by Gaiam Vivendi Entertainment. It is a DVD that will appeal to both football and non-football fans.
The film follows legendary 49ers head coach Bill Walsh. During the '80s Walsh led the 49ers to many victories, including three Super Bowl titles. Walsh developed what is known as the “West Coast Offense,” which was attributed to the team’s phenomenal offensive techniques. Walsh was also named NFL Coach of the Year for his contributions to the football world.
Fans of the 49ers will be able to relive “The Catch” and the last few minutes of Super Bowl XXIII.
“San Francisco 49ers: Team of the '80s” seems like it was made for The History Channel. It gives life to a team whose origins are relatively unknown.
Not only does the DVD give extensive details about the 49ers' offensive and defensive systems, it sheds light on the team's winning philosophy. The 49ers created a unit that demanded excellence at a personal and professional level.
The DVD pays homage to 49er icons like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Walsh. These are names that most people have heard of, but some may ultimately know very little about their backgrounds. The DVD replays the moments that made these men household names.
One does not have to be literate in football to enjoy the film. They can simply enjoy the story and watch the progression of one of the NFL’s greatest teams.
Shelby Scoffield has a Bachelors in English from Brigham Young University and a Masters in Rhetoric and Composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- 50 things about 'The Sound of Music' to help...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 11 Seussian quotations to celebrate Dr....
- Doug's Take: 'McFarland, USA' is a movie...
- There's no escaping 'Saturday Night Live'
- ‘Big Hero 6,’ ‘Feast’...
- Book review: 'The Storyspinner' breathes new...
- Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock on... 13
- Doug's Take: 'McFarland, USA' is a... 5
- There's no escaping 'Saturday Night Live' 5
- Pacifica Institute Utah hosts 'Love is... 3
- ‘Big Hero 6,’... 2
- Leonard Nimoy leaves legacy beyond... 1
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner... 1
- 5 recent novels based on narratives... 1