Utah Jazz: Paul Millsap, Jamaal Tinsley excused from team Friday for personal reasons
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz will be without Paul Millsap and Jamaal Tinsley for tonight's preseason game against the Oklahoma City Thunder.
The players have been excused from the team to attend to unrelated personal matters. The team did not announce when either will return or why they are absent.
Millsap is traveling to Louisiana to attend the funeral of his paternal grandmother, a source confirmed. The funeral is on Saturday, meaning Millsap will also miss the Jazz's road game against the Los Angeles Lakers on Saturday at Staples Center.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin no longer makes himself available for media interviews on the morning of home games, so he did not offer a comment on either player's situation.
Third-year pro Derrick Favors is expected to start in Millsap's place at the power forward position. Favors said he has not spoken to Millsap since the seven-year veteran left the team, but plans on speaking to him when he gets back.
Guards Randy Foye, Alec Burks and NBA hopeful Chris Quinn will possibly see extended time at the point guard position. Veteran playmaker Earl Watson continues to rehab his surgically repaired knee and remains sidelined for now.
This will be the Jazz's first home preseason game — and one of only two. Tipoff is at 7 p.m., and the contest will be televised live on Root Sports.
Utah lost its preseason-opener at Golden State, 83-80, on Monday.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 53
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 33
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26