For those of us who wouldn’t mind stepping up and seeing what it’s like to be able to afford to go out to dinner, buy season tickets to the Jazz or fly to Maui, the six-week “hope chunk” idea might be appealing. But all is not lost. We are just coming to the end of a four-year “hope chunk.”
Have you forgotten that in less than four weeks we will either have elected a new president who will restore America’s greatness or we’ll re-elect the old one who will save us from the grief that would have happened had we elected a heartless Republican?
It’s just like a missionary transfer. We don’t know for sure if things will get better or worse. We just have to wait four weeks. I know, I know, there are some of you who worry that if we get the wrong guy in there the world will end.
You can turn off the TV. It’s not like you are a missionary. You don’t have to worry that President Obama will be waiting outside your bathroom door wanting to borrow money or that Mitt Romney will want you to go with him to break the bad news to Big Bird.
And if you are unhappy, the next presidential transfer is just four years away. A four-year “hope chunk” may be difficult to swallow but, for now, that’s all we’ve got. If the next president doesn’t fix everything by the end of January 2013, they’ll start campaigning all over again.
If that happens, everyone will want to be astronauts.
Steve Eaton lives and works in Logan, Utah. He can be reached at Eatonnews@gmail.com
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video parody...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 54
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 17
- 5 underrated Disney movies 13
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: We pay a price... 5
- What parents can do at home to prepare... 3
- Teens may be even more distracted... 3