CAMP WILLIAMS — The Utah National Guard will conduct a change of command for its Land Component Command Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the Camp Williams Readiness Center auditorium.
Retiring Brig. Gen. Michael R. Liechty will formally transfer command to Col. Val L. Peterson, as Peterson will assume oversight of the six Utah Army National Guard major commands to include engineers, Special Forces, aviation, artillery, military intelligence and troop command units.
A change-of-responsibility ceremony for the senior enlisted leader for Land Component Command will also take place in conjunction with the change of command. At that ceremony, Command Sgt. Maj. Stephan Vogl will transfer responsibility to Command Sgt. Maj. Richard Brown.
Liechty, of Providence, has served as commander of Land Component Command since 2008. He will be retiring from the Utah National Guard after 42 years of service, but will continue his full-time civilian employment with Cache County School District in North Logan, where he is deputy superintendent.
An Orem resident, Peterson is full-time vice president for finance and administration at Utah Valley University. He is also a member of the Utah State House of Representatives. In his 28-year military career he has served as a company commander, battalion commander and brigade commander.
A retirement ceremony for Brig. Gen. Liechty will follow at 3 p.m.
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 80
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12