CAMP WILLIAMS — The Utah National Guard will conduct a change of command for its Land Component Command Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the Camp Williams Readiness Center auditorium.
Retiring Brig. Gen. Michael R. Liechty will formally transfer command to Col. Val L. Peterson, as Peterson will assume oversight of the six Utah Army National Guard major commands to include engineers, Special Forces, aviation, artillery, military intelligence and troop command units.
A change-of-responsibility ceremony for the senior enlisted leader for Land Component Command will also take place in conjunction with the change of command. At that ceremony, Command Sgt. Maj. Stephan Vogl will transfer responsibility to Command Sgt. Maj. Richard Brown.
Liechty, of Providence, has served as commander of Land Component Command since 2008. He will be retiring from the Utah National Guard after 42 years of service, but will continue his full-time civilian employment with Cache County School District in North Logan, where he is deputy superintendent.
An Orem resident, Peterson is full-time vice president for finance and administration at Utah Valley University. He is also a member of the Utah State House of Representatives. In his 28-year military career he has served as a company commander, battalion commander and brigade commander.
A retirement ceremony for Brig. Gen. Liechty will follow at 3 p.m.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8