CAMP WILLIAMS — The Utah National Guard will conduct a change of command for its Land Component Command Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the Camp Williams Readiness Center auditorium.
Retiring Brig. Gen. Michael R. Liechty will formally transfer command to Col. Val L. Peterson, as Peterson will assume oversight of the six Utah Army National Guard major commands to include engineers, Special Forces, aviation, artillery, military intelligence and troop command units.
A change-of-responsibility ceremony for the senior enlisted leader for Land Component Command will also take place in conjunction with the change of command. At that ceremony, Command Sgt. Maj. Stephan Vogl will transfer responsibility to Command Sgt. Maj. Richard Brown.
Liechty, of Providence, has served as commander of Land Component Command since 2008. He will be retiring from the Utah National Guard after 42 years of service, but will continue his full-time civilian employment with Cache County School District in North Logan, where he is deputy superintendent.
An Orem resident, Peterson is full-time vice president for finance and administration at Utah Valley University. He is also a member of the Utah State House of Representatives. In his 28-year military career he has served as a company commander, battalion commander and brigade commander.
A retirement ceremony for Brig. Gen. Liechty will follow at 3 p.m.
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 16
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 14
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 13
- Mia Love pushing higher education act 11
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 10