USU tennis: Utah State men’s tennis completes first day of Utah Intercollegiates
Utah State men’s tennis began play at the Utah Intercollegiates in Salt Lake City Thursday, hosted by the University of Utah. After two rounds of singles play senior Sven Poslusny remains in the main bracket, while four remain in the consolation bracket.
In doubles play, one pair remains in the consolation bracket for Utah State.
Poslusny entered the tournament seeded sixth in singles play and advanced to the third round, first defeating Travis Fillmore of BYU (6-1, 4-6, 6-2), then fellow teammate sophomore Curran Wearmouth (6-2, 6-3). Wearmouth defeated Dylan Hansel of Weber State in the first round (6-1, 6-0).
Junior Brandon Nielson was defeated in the first round by Slim Hamza of Utah (6-1, 6-1), while junior Fredrick Peterson fell to Spencer Smith of BYU (6-2, 6-3). Sophomore Matt Sweet was also taken down in the first round by Rafael Davidian of Utah (6-2, 7-5), and freshman Zeno Kastelic lost to John Pearce of BYU (6-2, 6-0). Junior Andrew Whiting advanced to the second round with a come-from-behind win, eliminating Justin Archer of Utah (4-6, 6-1, 6-3). He was then defeated by Fracis Sargenant of BYU (6-3, 6-4). Junior Matt Thatcher advanced to the second round over Giorgi Kvernadze of Weber State (6-2, 6-0) where he was defeated by John Pearce of BYU (6-2, 6-0).
In the first round of the consolation bracket, Nielson defeated Sanjay Goswany of Weber State (6-1, 3-6, 11-9). He then defeated Ryan Garner of Weber State (6-3, 6-4). Kastelic took down Kvernardze of Weber State (6-3, 6-3), while Peterson eliminated the Wildcats Oliver Good (6-4, 6-2), advancing all of Utah State's men on to the second round.
In doubles play, Peterson and Nielson advanced to the second round taking out Lee of Arkansas and Tasevac of Utah (9-7). They then fell to Fought and Goswami of Weber State in the second round. Poslusny and Sweet took on Hansel and Kvernardes of Weber State, winning (8-2), advancing them to the second round where they were taken down by Medinilla and Mamedova of Utah (9-8). Kastelic and Wearmouth were eliminated in the first round by Smith and Sargent of BYU (8-0), and Thatcher and Whitting were also defeated in the first round by Lane and Hamza of Utah (8-1).
Thatcher and Whiting went up against Garner and Trabert of Weber in the first round of the consolation bracket and were defeated (8-5). Wearmouth and Kastelic took down Good and Rode of Weber (9-8, ).
USU will continue action at the Utah Intercollegiates all day on Friday.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Former Utah State player Frank Maile returns...
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- 'Team Utah’ makes Super 16 of $2...
- USU football: nine Aggies named to College...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond):...
- USU golf: three Utah State golfers tabbed...
- Brad Rock: Big 12 and BYU overshadow instate...
- Morning links: National college... 96
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 79
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 57
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 16
- 9 observations from the release of Utah... 14