USU tennis: Utah State men’s tennis completes first day of Utah Intercollegiates
Utah State men’s tennis began play at the Utah Intercollegiates in Salt Lake City Thursday, hosted by the University of Utah. After two rounds of singles play senior Sven Poslusny remains in the main bracket, while four remain in the consolation bracket.
In doubles play, one pair remains in the consolation bracket for Utah State.
Poslusny entered the tournament seeded sixth in singles play and advanced to the third round, first defeating Travis Fillmore of BYU (6-1, 4-6, 6-2), then fellow teammate sophomore Curran Wearmouth (6-2, 6-3). Wearmouth defeated Dylan Hansel of Weber State in the first round (6-1, 6-0).
Junior Brandon Nielson was defeated in the first round by Slim Hamza of Utah (6-1, 6-1), while junior Fredrick Peterson fell to Spencer Smith of BYU (6-2, 6-3). Sophomore Matt Sweet was also taken down in the first round by Rafael Davidian of Utah (6-2, 7-5), and freshman Zeno Kastelic lost to John Pearce of BYU (6-2, 6-0). Junior Andrew Whiting advanced to the second round with a come-from-behind win, eliminating Justin Archer of Utah (4-6, 6-1, 6-3). He was then defeated by Fracis Sargenant of BYU (6-3, 6-4). Junior Matt Thatcher advanced to the second round over Giorgi Kvernadze of Weber State (6-2, 6-0) where he was defeated by John Pearce of BYU (6-2, 6-0).
In the first round of the consolation bracket, Nielson defeated Sanjay Goswany of Weber State (6-1, 3-6, 11-9). He then defeated Ryan Garner of Weber State (6-3, 6-4). Kastelic took down Kvernardze of Weber State (6-3, 6-3), while Peterson eliminated the Wildcats Oliver Good (6-4, 6-2), advancing all of Utah State's men on to the second round.
In doubles play, Peterson and Nielson advanced to the second round taking out Lee of Arkansas and Tasevac of Utah (9-7). They then fell to Fought and Goswami of Weber State in the second round. Poslusny and Sweet took on Hansel and Kvernardes of Weber State, winning (8-2), advancing them to the second round where they were taken down by Medinilla and Mamedova of Utah (9-8). Kastelic and Wearmouth were eliminated in the first round by Smith and Sargent of BYU (8-0), and Thatcher and Whitting were also defeated in the first round by Lane and Hamza of Utah (8-1).
Thatcher and Whiting went up against Garner and Trabert of Weber in the first round of the consolation bracket and were defeated (8-5). Wearmouth and Kastelic took down Good and Rode of Weber (9-8, ).
USU will continue action at the Utah Intercollegiates all day on Friday.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Twitter reacts to David Collette vs. Utah State
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 32
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31