“The Adventures of Scooter the Penguin” (eOne, 2012, $14.98). Sweet, gentle feature-length computer-animated cartoon for small fry about a penguin with swimming talent that hatches and grows up in the wrong colony, and later finds he must prove himself when challenged by another speedy swimmer.
“Halloween Cartoon Collection” (Cookie Jar/Mill Creek, 1993-2007, $5.98, 10 cartoons, bonus episode of “Hey Vern, It’s Ernest”). The cartoons collected for this spooky-themed disc include episodes of “Johnny Test,” “Archie’s Weird Mysteries,” “Ripley’s Believe It or Not” and “Sabrina: The Animated Series.”
“Roseanne: Tricks & Treats” (Mill Creek, 1989-96, $5.98, eight episodes, audio commentary by Roseanne on episode “Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down”). The annual Halloween episodes of “Roseanne” began in the sitcom’s second year and were often highlights of each season. Other studios would do well to pick up on this idea, releasing collections of various sitcoms’ holiday episodes.
“Jeff Dunham: Minding the Monsters” (Comedy Central/Paramount, 2012, $22.98, “bleeped” and “unbleeped” versions, audio commentary, featurettes). Dunham is a clever ventriloquist and his comic sets with his array of dummies are often very funny, but it’s a shame he can’t keep it clean. The material here is often very adult, despite the puppets on the box that may attract kids. (Also on DVD, $16.99.)
“Whitney: Season One” (Universal, 2011-12, three discs, $39.98, 22 episodes, deleted scenes, audio commentaries, bloopers). Whitney Cummings (who also co-created “2 Broke Girls”) stars in this “Friends”-ish sitcom as a photographer living with her boyfriend and surrounded by the usual array of young eccentrics. Occasionally funny, more often just raunchy.
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't save...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1