WASHINGTON, D.C. – Utah Valley University recorded its third consecutive shutout win, defeating Great West Conference opponent Howard University 3-0 Thursday night at Greene Stadium.
UVU opened conference play last Friday with a 2-0 victory over NJIT in Orem.
"Three shutouts in a row, three wins in a row, and more importantly, two conference wins," UVU head soccer coach Brent Anderson said. "It was an excellent team effort tonight. We created some really nice scoring opportunities and did a good job of limiting their attack."
The Wolverines (4-10-1, 2-0-0 GWC) benefited early from an HU (0-14-2, 0-2-0 GWC) own goal in the 7th minute. With the early advantage after the Bison mishap, UVU racheted up the offensive pressure. The Wolverines would go on to outshoot HU 13-3 in the first half.
In the 12th minute, the own goal being the only tally on the scoreboard, UVU cashed in on its next attempt at goal. Senior defender Kelsey Cook found fellow senior Shalayne Janis, who weaved through the defense and finished for her first goal of the season.
The Wolverines struck again in the 27th minute. This time Haley Curtis, on the receiving end of a pass from defender Lexi Dunn, got behind the defense and scored a breakaway goal to push the advantage to 3-0 well before the halftime whistle.
The score was Curtis' third on the year and sealed the win for UVU.
Neither side scored in the second half, as redshirt freshman Jessica Duffin relieved senior Lauren Sack of her goalkeeping duties over the last 45 minutes. Sack went relatively unchallenged in the opening frame, leaving the match without a recorded save. Duffin stopped three shots in the second half.
Defenders Dunn, Kelsey Cook and Caitlin Mortensen went the distance for UVU, playing all 90 minutes.
Conference play continues this Saturday with UVU traveling to Orangeburg, S.C., to face South Carolina State. The Bulldogs are currently atop the GWC standings but fell 1-0 to Houston Baptist Thursday night.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35