WASHINGTON, D.C. – Utah Valley University recorded its third consecutive shutout win, defeating Great West Conference opponent Howard University 3-0 Thursday night at Greene Stadium.
UVU opened conference play last Friday with a 2-0 victory over NJIT in Orem.
"Three shutouts in a row, three wins in a row, and more importantly, two conference wins," UVU head soccer coach Brent Anderson said. "It was an excellent team effort tonight. We created some really nice scoring opportunities and did a good job of limiting their attack."
The Wolverines (4-10-1, 2-0-0 GWC) benefited early from an HU (0-14-2, 0-2-0 GWC) own goal in the 7th minute. With the early advantage after the Bison mishap, UVU racheted up the offensive pressure. The Wolverines would go on to outshoot HU 13-3 in the first half.
In the 12th minute, the own goal being the only tally on the scoreboard, UVU cashed in on its next attempt at goal. Senior defender Kelsey Cook found fellow senior Shalayne Janis, who weaved through the defense and finished for her first goal of the season.
The Wolverines struck again in the 27th minute. This time Haley Curtis, on the receiving end of a pass from defender Lexi Dunn, got behind the defense and scored a breakaway goal to push the advantage to 3-0 well before the halftime whistle.
The score was Curtis' third on the year and sealed the win for UVU.
Neither side scored in the second half, as redshirt freshman Jessica Duffin relieved senior Lauren Sack of her goalkeeping duties over the last 45 minutes. Sack went relatively unchallenged in the opening frame, leaving the match without a recorded save. Duffin stopped three shots in the second half.
Defenders Dunn, Kelsey Cook and Caitlin Mortensen went the distance for UVU, playing all 90 minutes.
Conference play continues this Saturday with UVU traveling to Orangeburg, S.C., to face South Carolina State. The Bulldogs are currently atop the GWC standings but fell 1-0 to Houston Baptist Thursday night.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 60
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31