USU soccer: first-place USU soccer travels to second-place Seattle Friday
First-place Utah State soccer hits the road to face second-place Seattle Friday, Oct. 12 at 2 p.m. at SU's Championship Field.
Utah State (7-2-6) began the month of October with a bang, scoring seven goals in two matches in home wins against UTSA (3-0) and Texas State (4-0). With the wins, the Aggies jumped into first place in the Western Athletic Conference standings with a 2-0-2 league record for eight points.
This week, USU takes to the road for its final two regular-season away matches of the season. USU begins the road trip at Seattle (7-5-1, 2-0-1 WAC).
The all-time series between Seattle and Utah State is tied at 1-1. The last time the Aggies and the Redhawks met was in 2009 when Seattle edged Utah State, 3-1, in Seattle.
Seattle is 7-5-1 overall and 2-0-1 in league contests. The Redhawks have won three of their last four matches, including a 5-1 win against Idaho last week at home.
Stephanie Verdoia leads Seattle and is third in the conference in points scored with seven goals and one assist for 15 points. Melissa Busque is second on the team in scoring with four goals and four assists for 12 points. Brianna Smallidge has played in 13 matches in goal this season, allowing 15 goals for a 1.12 GAA.
In the latest NCAA statistics, USU senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford is now 10th in the nation in save percentage (.902). She is also 14th in the country in goals against average with an impressive 0.50 GAA. As a team, the Aggies are fifth in the nation in save percentage (.900).
Following the match against the Redhawks, the Aggies will take on Idaho (3-11-1, 0-2-1) on Sunday, Oct. 14.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 65
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 48
- Annual instate college basketball... 37