USU soccer: first-place USU soccer travels to second-place Seattle Friday
First-place Utah State soccer hits the road to face second-place Seattle Friday, Oct. 12 at 2 p.m. at SU's Championship Field.
Utah State (7-2-6) began the month of October with a bang, scoring seven goals in two matches in home wins against UTSA (3-0) and Texas State (4-0). With the wins, the Aggies jumped into first place in the Western Athletic Conference standings with a 2-0-2 league record for eight points.
This week, USU takes to the road for its final two regular-season away matches of the season. USU begins the road trip at Seattle (7-5-1, 2-0-1 WAC).
The all-time series between Seattle and Utah State is tied at 1-1. The last time the Aggies and the Redhawks met was in 2009 when Seattle edged Utah State, 3-1, in Seattle.
Seattle is 7-5-1 overall and 2-0-1 in league contests. The Redhawks have won three of their last four matches, including a 5-1 win against Idaho last week at home.
Stephanie Verdoia leads Seattle and is third in the conference in points scored with seven goals and one assist for 15 points. Melissa Busque is second on the team in scoring with four goals and four assists for 12 points. Brianna Smallidge has played in 13 matches in goal this season, allowing 15 goals for a 1.12 GAA.
In the latest NCAA statistics, USU senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford is now 10th in the nation in save percentage (.902). She is also 14th in the country in goals against average with an impressive 0.50 GAA. As a team, the Aggies are fifth in the nation in save percentage (.900).
Following the match against the Redhawks, the Aggies will take on Idaho (3-11-1, 0-2-1) on Sunday, Oct. 14.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 63
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21