USU soccer: first-place USU soccer travels to second-place Seattle Friday
First-place Utah State soccer hits the road to face second-place Seattle Friday, Oct. 12 at 2 p.m. at SU's Championship Field.
Utah State (7-2-6) began the month of October with a bang, scoring seven goals in two matches in home wins against UTSA (3-0) and Texas State (4-0). With the wins, the Aggies jumped into first place in the Western Athletic Conference standings with a 2-0-2 league record for eight points.
This week, USU takes to the road for its final two regular-season away matches of the season. USU begins the road trip at Seattle (7-5-1, 2-0-1 WAC).
The all-time series between Seattle and Utah State is tied at 1-1. The last time the Aggies and the Redhawks met was in 2009 when Seattle edged Utah State, 3-1, in Seattle.
Seattle is 7-5-1 overall and 2-0-1 in league contests. The Redhawks have won three of their last four matches, including a 5-1 win against Idaho last week at home.
Stephanie Verdoia leads Seattle and is third in the conference in points scored with seven goals and one assist for 15 points. Melissa Busque is second on the team in scoring with four goals and four assists for 12 points. Brianna Smallidge has played in 13 matches in goal this season, allowing 15 goals for a 1.12 GAA.
In the latest NCAA statistics, USU senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford is now 10th in the nation in save percentage (.902). She is also 14th in the country in goals against average with an impressive 0.50 GAA. As a team, the Aggies are fifth in the nation in save percentage (.900).
Following the match against the Redhawks, the Aggies will take on Idaho (3-11-1, 0-2-1) on Sunday, Oct. 14.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 39
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20