Friends and family are joining together this weekend in Brigham City for a charitable yard and bake sale to benefit the Cowley family's efforts to buy a headstone for their son's grave.
Proceeds from the Saturday, Oct. 13, sale, which will be held at 761 N. 100 East, will go toward the headstone's purchase .
Doug Cowley, who passed away on July 5 at age 42, was born with many challenges and limitations, yet lived life the fullest. His big personality was known all over the small town — many would honk and wave at him as he made his daily trek to the local 7-Eleven. He is most often remembered for his incredible fact recollection about the Utah Jazz and great love for the team.
Sixteen years ago, the Cowley’s buried their youngest son Wade, also a special needs person, and Doug’s only brother.
“Doug was so lost when Wade died. They were best buds, always sharing a bedroom, riding the same school bus, and attending the same Special Education classes,” Doug’s mother, Pat, recalls. “They went to scout camps, rode carnival rides, and went to movies with each other. For the past 16 years, Doug has been without his best friend. Now they are together again, and that is what gives us comfort. I can only imagine the wonderful reunion that took place on the other side of the veil.”
Doug loved and fully participated in scouting, attending many camps and becoming an Eagle Scout just before his 18th birthday. Tracy Halladay served as a scout alongside Doug and remembers him with great respect. “He was such a major part of my young life," he said. "I can only picture him now happy and full of love for the wonderful parents he had here on earth.”
Friends and neighbors will be collecting items for the yard and bake sale through Friday, Oct. 12. To contribute items, please contact Wendy Rupper at 435-723-6844.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15