Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU's offense had scoreless drives of 11, 12 and 13 plays against Utah State on Friday. But the offense took some steps in the right direction against the Aggies, Mendenhall told Cougar Tracks. Many of BYU's offensive struggles can be attributed to injuries, including some players being lost for the rest of the season.
"(On offense) from the start of this year, we've lost five players in the two deep, that's through six games," Mendenhall told Cougar Tracks. "I've never been a part of anything like that."
One of the most frustrating injuries for Cougar fans is the one quarterback Taysom Hill suffered against Utah State, according to the article. Hill started the season as the third quarterback on the depth-chart but got the starting job due to Riley Nelson's back injury. Mendenhall addressed the bizarre quarterback keeper play that ended Hill's freshman season.
"Through really poor communication an offensive signal caller going 'the clock is running' when we want it to run, to Taysom thinking that means run the next play," Mendenhall told Cougar Tracks. Once Mendenhall realized what was happening, he tried to call timeout but it was too late.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule...
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on 'red-alert'
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 38
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 27
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule... 23
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State... 20
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty... 17
- Judd: BYU football still fine-tuning... 16
- Will Kaufusi’s expected return... 14