Cover letter mistakes that could land your application in the trash can
Seven common cover letter mistakes could keep you from getting a job, according to U.S. News.
1. Don’t start with “To Whom it May Concern:
The head of the department doesn’t necessarily do the hiring. Find out to whom the letter should really be addressed.
"My recommendation is not to use a salutation at all but to use a subject line," Louise Kursmark, the author of "15-Minute Cover Letter," told U.S. News. "Salutations are work-arounds that don't work very well."
Applicants can also call the company directly to ask who to address the letter to.
2. Check your spelling:
Its and it’s are not the same thing. Avoid misspelling names. Have someone else double check your spelling.
3. Avoid writing an impersonal form letter
While a rough template can save you time, don’t rely too much on it. Write about how you can specifically help that company.
4. Go on the offense:
A cover letter is no place to explain weaknesses. Stick to your strengths and talk about employment gaps or the lack of a degree later.
5. Keep it short:
A two-page cover letter is much too long. A couple of paragraphs and possibly some bullet points are sufficient, Kursmark told U.S. News.
6. Don’t use big words:
How you speak shows more intelligence than how many complex words you can use.
7. Don’t be overly casual:
How you talk can also convey your level of professionalism. You’re applying for a job, not making weekend plans with your friends.
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Dave Ramsey says: Face the future with a...
- There's a bipartisan new approach to curbing...
- AT&T, as new owner of DirecTV, offers...
- Michelle Singletary: Reading is fundamental...
- Who wins and loses under Obama's stricter...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- How Facebook plans to change the world with...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 18
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- Who wins and loses under Obama's... 13
- Higher wages a surprising success for... 11
- Contractor fined for employing children... 4
- There's a bipartisan new approach to... 3
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 2
- US manufacturing growth slows in July 1