Cover letter mistakes that could land your application in the trash can
Seven common cover letter mistakes could keep you from getting a job, according to U.S. News.
1. Don’t start with “To Whom it May Concern:
The head of the department doesn’t necessarily do the hiring. Find out to whom the letter should really be addressed.
"My recommendation is not to use a salutation at all but to use a subject line," Louise Kursmark, the author of "15-Minute Cover Letter," told U.S. News. "Salutations are work-arounds that don't work very well."
Applicants can also call the company directly to ask who to address the letter to.
2. Check your spelling:
Its and it’s are not the same thing. Avoid misspelling names. Have someone else double check your spelling.
3. Avoid writing an impersonal form letter
While a rough template can save you time, don’t rely too much on it. Write about how you can specifically help that company.
4. Go on the offense:
A cover letter is no place to explain weaknesses. Stick to your strengths and talk about employment gaps or the lack of a degree later.
5. Keep it short:
A two-page cover letter is much too long. A couple of paragraphs and possibly some bullet points are sufficient, Kursmark told U.S. News.
6. Don’t use big words:
How you speak shows more intelligence than how many complex words you can use.
7. Don’t be overly casual:
How you talk can also convey your level of professionalism. You’re applying for a job, not making weekend plans with your friends.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utahns urged to shift spending during Small...
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and Giving...
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- David Sturt and Todd Nordstrom: Don't forget...
- Black Friday mayhem: A tale of humor and...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- Utah liquor commission going slow on... 4
- Utahns urged to shift spending during... 4
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and... 3
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco... 2
- In time for the holidays, S.L. Comic... 2
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 2