Cover letter mistakes that could land your application in the trash can
Seven common cover letter mistakes could keep you from getting a job, according to U.S. News.
1. Don’t start with “To Whom it May Concern:
The head of the department doesn’t necessarily do the hiring. Find out to whom the letter should really be addressed.
"My recommendation is not to use a salutation at all but to use a subject line," Louise Kursmark, the author of "15-Minute Cover Letter," told U.S. News. "Salutations are work-arounds that don't work very well."
Applicants can also call the company directly to ask who to address the letter to.
2. Check your spelling:
Its and it’s are not the same thing. Avoid misspelling names. Have someone else double check your spelling.
3. Avoid writing an impersonal form letter
While a rough template can save you time, don’t rely too much on it. Write about how you can specifically help that company.
4. Go on the offense:
A cover letter is no place to explain weaknesses. Stick to your strengths and talk about employment gaps or the lack of a degree later.
5. Keep it short:
A two-page cover letter is much too long. A couple of paragraphs and possibly some bullet points are sufficient, Kursmark told U.S. News.
6. Don’t use big words:
How you speak shows more intelligence than how many complex words you can use.
7. Don’t be overly casual:
How you talk can also convey your level of professionalism. You’re applying for a job, not making weekend plans with your friends.
- Ground broken for transit-oriented housing...
- Balancing act: Different kinds of guilt...
- Dave Ramsey says: Everyone needs a financial...
- Commission to highlight women in Utah economy
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning over...
- Is preschool worth the money?
- Suit: Papa John's fired worker with Down...
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 11
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know 6
- Colorado high court considers pot... 4
- How to be a billionaire 4
- Commission to highlight women in Utah... 4
- USDA: Genetically modified wheat found... 3
- Something that may have caused the... 3
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought... 3