HIGHLAND — Lone Peak defeated Bingham 26-24, 25-20, 17-25, 25-20 in Region 4 volleyball action as school administrators honored Knight coach Deanna Meyer for earning her 300th career victory against American Fork Tuesday.
Meyer actually secured her 300th and 301st win — against Snow Canyon Saturday — the week previous. By beating Bingham 3-1, Meyer moved her career record to 302-127.
Before the match, Meyer took some time to thank her players, their parents, school administrators and the Lone Peak fans for her coaching success. Lone Peak head principal Dr. Chip Koop presented Meyer with a plaque and bouquet of flowers and remarked that the coach should be praised not only for her wins on the court, but the academic prowess of the players in the Knight program.
Bingham came ready to ruin the celebration as the Miners proved to be stubborn competition. In the first game, Bingham had a set point at 24-23 before the Knights rallied for three straight points ending the game on a Kizzy Willey kill.
Lone Peak won the second game 25-20, but Bingham secured a win in the third set 25-17.
The fourth set went back and forth with several ties and lead changes. The last tie score came at 16-16, but sophomore Cassie Lewis had three straight kills for the Knights who moved out in front 19-16.
Bingham cut the lead to 22-20, but the Knights scored three straight points and ended the match when Willey's kill hit the floor.
Willey had 25 kills and 11 digs to lead the Knight charge. Jaiden Achermann had 13 kills and 13 digs to support Willey with Lewis adding 10 kills.
Megan Hunter led the Knights behind the service line with five aces. Hunter and Reagan Lindsey quarterbacked the offense with 25 and 27 assists respectively from their setter positions. McKenna Santiago was an anchor on defense with 23 digs for the Knights.
Brian E. Preece is a freelance writer who has been published by the Deseret News, Salt Lake Tribune, Daily Herald and Coaches Quarterly magazine. He was also the head wrestling coach at Provo HS from 1994 to 2006.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 43
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 35
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25