Cedar City man faces kidnapping charges after climbing into car, demanding a ride
CEDAR CITY — Police say a southern Utah woman was the victim of an attempted kidnapping Tuesday afternoon when a man forced his way into her car and demanded a ride.
Justin Rodney Smith, 24, of Cedar City, was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
Iron County sheriff's detective Jody Edwards said Smith jumped in front of the woman's car about 2:30 p.m. as she was driving near 2700 West in Midvalley Estates, just outside of Cedar City. When the woman stopped the car, Smith climbed in the back seat and demanded a ride into town.
The woman stopped when she passed Three Peaks Elementary School, 1685 Midvalley Road, and ran inside to call police, Edwards said. Officers found Smith at the school and took him into custody. He was unarmed, police said.
"She acted very quickly and appropriately," Edwards said. "We're always really happy when something works out this well."
School officials put the building on lockdown when the woman advised them of her situation. Students were kept in their classrooms until the matter had been resolved.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23