Cedar City man faces kidnapping charges after climbing into car, demanding a ride
CEDAR CITY — Police say a southern Utah woman was the victim of an attempted kidnapping Tuesday afternoon when a man forced his way into her car and demanded a ride.
Justin Rodney Smith, 24, of Cedar City, was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of kidnapping, a second-degree felony.
Iron County sheriff's detective Jody Edwards said Smith jumped in front of the woman's car about 2:30 p.m. as she was driving near 2700 West in Midvalley Estates, just outside of Cedar City. When the woman stopped the car, Smith climbed in the back seat and demanded a ride into town.
The woman stopped when she passed Three Peaks Elementary School, 1685 Midvalley Road, and ran inside to call police, Edwards said. Officers found Smith at the school and took him into custody. He was unarmed, police said.
"She acted very quickly and appropriately," Edwards said. "We're always really happy when something works out this well."
School officials put the building on lockdown when the woman advised them of her situation. Students were kept in their classrooms until the matter had been resolved.
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- 2 killed in auto accident on I-80 in Summit...
- Tino, the king of Hogle Zoo's jungle, is...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 42
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 27
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17