Murder case: Woman testifies of affair with Martin MacNeill before, after his wife's death
Perper disagreed with the conclusions of both Grey and Frikke concerning the cause of death. He believes Grey did not have all the information that he did about fluids found in MacNeill's body. Otherwise, Perper believes Grey would have also come to a conclusion of drowning. He also believed both Grey and Frikke missed some findings in their autopsies, specifically in the lungs and kidneys.
He agreed with Grey and Frikke, however, that four drugs found in MacNeill's system — Valium, oxycodone, Phenergan and Ambien — did not solely cause her death, but may have contributed.
Perper also agreed with Grey in listing the manner of death — meaning whether it was a homicide, suicide or accidental — as "undetermined." He said it's the job of a medical examiner to consider as much circumstantial evidence as possible when determining a manner of death. In MacNeill's case, he said suicide was very unlikely.
"It's so low in the scale that, in my opinion, it's virtually not a possibility," he said.
As for the possibility of murder, Perper said that the case "raises a serious question of homicide." But he felt he could not make the determination because he was relying mostly on reports and interviews conducted by others.
"I think this is a case in which there are questions about manner of death," he said.
The preliminary hearing is expected to wrap up Thursday. Fourth District Judge Samuel McVey will determine if there is enough evidence to order MacNeill to stand trial.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 94
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11