Missionaries have been in headlines this weekend for more than just President Thomas S. Monson announcing a change in the age young men and young women can go on Mormon missions. A trio of features about missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were published this weekend.
ABC News followed along with a set of LDS missionaries in LaPlace, La., and talked to Baton Rouge Louisiana Mission President Jim Wall, former Deseret News publisher, in a feature that aired on Friday evening.
Further west in the Houston area, Elders Caden Jensen and Ryan MacCarthy used sidewalk chalk to draw the plan of salvation, according an article in the Houston Chronicle that includes several photos.
Other LDS Church missionaries in the Texas Houston South Mission have also used sidewalk art to teach.
"You walk along with it and teach them as you go," said Elder Derek Lomax, who did a similar one in Galveston. "We drew it all out on the sidewalk, and then, as people were passing by, we'd show them, saying, 'Hey it just takes a couple minutes.' "
The Albany, N.Y., Times-Union also featured Mormon missionaries in an article published Monday morning.
"All this publicity helps us as missionaries," said Elder Kenny Seymour. "The more people who have heard about Mormons, the more they will be willing to talk to us about our religion."
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- New collaboration helps track pioneer...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Hobby Lobby,...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's influence...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch indexing...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 34
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 21
- After government topples crosses in... 16
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 16
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 14
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Having trouble understanding the Bible?... 4