"ACT IN DOCTRINE," by David A. Bednar, Deseret Book, $23.99, 157 pages (nf)
Elder David A. Bednar's previous book, "Increase in Learning," focused on learning, acting and becoming.
His new book, "Act in Doctrine," focuses upon the doctrines, principles and patterns related to translating what we know into what we do.
"Learning and acting in accordance with revealed gospel truth ultimately can invite into our lives the 'power to become' (Doctrine and Covenants 11:30) all that the Father's plan of salvation makes possible for us," Elder Bednar, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, wrote in the preface. "The first essential step in reducing the disparity between gospel knowledge and righteous behavior is learning about and emulating the character of Christ."
One need not read "Increase in Learning" to benefit from "Act in Doctrine."
As before with "Increase in Learning," "Act in Doctrine" is formatted with extra-wide margins to recording thoughts, impressions and questions. There are pages at the end of each chapter for listing scripture references or respond to the principles discussed in the chapter.
A DVD is included in the book with a question-and-answer session in which the ideas are explored further in a group setting. Additional learning resources are available online at seek.deseretbook.com.
"Act in Doctrine" is also available as an enhanced e-book with embedded video content (featured on the Deseret Bookshelf app), and as a standard e-book on other e-readers.
"My hope is that this book will cause you to ponder, pray, reflect, evaluate and act," Elder Bednar wrote. "May the combination of your faith in the Savior, your willingness to act as an agent, the text and the learning experiences in which you will engage invite the Holy Ghost to help you more fully understand basic gospel truths and powerful spiritual patterns — to the end that each of us may act in doctrine."
Trent Toone is the author of the forthcoming biography of San Diego Chargers safety and University of Utah alumnus Eric Weddle, which is scheduled to be released by Shadow Mountain in May 2013. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Returned Mormon missionaries in college...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 100
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 84
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 56
- When Satan steals your motherhood 44
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 14