"ACT IN DOCTRINE," by David A. Bednar, Deseret Book, $23.99, 157 pages (nf)
Elder David A. Bednar's previous book, "Increase in Learning," focused on learning, acting and becoming.
His new book, "Act in Doctrine," focuses upon the doctrines, principles and patterns related to translating what we know into what we do.
"Learning and acting in accordance with revealed gospel truth ultimately can invite into our lives the 'power to become' (Doctrine and Covenants 11:30) all that the Father's plan of salvation makes possible for us," Elder Bednar, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, wrote in the preface. "The first essential step in reducing the disparity between gospel knowledge and righteous behavior is learning about and emulating the character of Christ."
One need not read "Increase in Learning" to benefit from "Act in Doctrine."
As before with "Increase in Learning," "Act in Doctrine" is formatted with extra-wide margins to recording thoughts, impressions and questions. There are pages at the end of each chapter for listing scripture references or respond to the principles discussed in the chapter.
A DVD is included in the book with a question-and-answer session in which the ideas are explored further in a group setting. Additional learning resources are available online at seek.deseretbook.com.
"Act in Doctrine" is also available as an enhanced e-book with embedded video content (featured on the Deseret Bookshelf app), and as a standard e-book on other e-readers.
"My hope is that this book will cause you to ponder, pray, reflect, evaluate and act," Elder Bednar wrote. "May the combination of your faith in the Savior, your willingness to act as an agent, the text and the learning experiences in which you will engage invite the Holy Ghost to help you more fully understand basic gospel truths and powerful spiritual patterns — to the end that each of us may act in doctrine."
Trent Toone is the author of the forthcoming biography of San Diego Chargers safety and University of Utah alumnus Eric Weddle, which is scheduled to be released by Shadow Mountain in May 2013. Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- LDS apostles return to southern South America...
- Home-school culture shifting away from...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 58
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 45
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 31
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 28
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 26
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 21
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20