Richard Drew, AP
Nationwide, consumer debt was $2.5 trillion in December 2011, but while that amount can be intimidating, reducing individual debt is possible, according to Fox Business.
People looking to repay their debts should pull a credit report at AnnualCreditReport.com, and then organize their debts in a spreadsheet recording the balance, rate, minimum payment and the number of payments left, Denise Winston, a financial educator and founder of MoneyStartHere.com told Fox Business.
“You will be amazed at how good you feel by simply knowing how much debt you really have and putting a plan in place to get rid of it,” Winston told Fox Business.
While the process can change depending on financial situation, the following are some tips that can help pay off several debts quickly.
- Cut spending: Sell unused things at a yard sale, eat out less, use coupons and stop spending with the credit cards you are trying to pay off.
- Pay the smallest debt first: This provides a psychological boost that helps you feel like you are making progress.
- Pay off the highest interest rates: This cuts down the biggest interest payments that you owe, saving you more money in the long run.
- Finish with the debt that has the lowest number of payments: Apply money that you were used to putting towards the already paid-off debts in order to finish paying this loan faster.
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- Failed resort embittered friends, Marc Jenson...
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- Balloon crew surpasses distance record in...
- How can Google snap its stock out of its stupor?
- Markets brace for Big Oil profit plunge
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 62
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80... 13
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline 7
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 5
- Greek radical left wins election,... 3
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- US economy slows to 2.6 percent growth... 3