USU soccer: Norris and Mulford garner WAC Soccer Player of the Week honors
Utah State soccer seniors Natalie Norris and Ashlyn Mulford were honored as Western Athletic Conference Players of the Week; the league announced on Monday. Norris was named WAC Defensive Player of the Week, while Mulford earned Goalkeeper of the Week honors.
This was Norris’ fourth career WAC Player of the Week honor, after winning the award twice this season and once in 2010. Mulford was honored for the fourth time this season. USU undergraduate assistant coach Molli Merrill and Aggie great Shantel Flanary lead the team with six WAC Player of the Week honors during their Aggie careers.
Norris, a senior defender from Sandy, Utah (Alta HS), played every minute in two shutout victories for the Aggies last week against UTSA and Texas State. Norris is the anchor of the USU backline that has pitched four-straight WAC shutouts to start the conference schedule. In the win against UTSA, the senior recorded a defensive save to help preserve the 3-0 shutout victory. She also converted a penalty kick with one second remaining in the match for her third goal of the year.
Mulford, a senior goalkeeper from West Valley City, Utah (Cyprus HS), earned one shutout and combined for a second as Utah State earned two home wins against UTSA and then-first-place Texas State. Mulford has yet to allow a goal in WAC action, playing three of the four league matches. In two matches, the senior faced 21 shots with four saves. In the 3-0 win against the Roadrunners, Mulford made two saves and added another two in the 4-0 victory against the Bobcats.
Seattle’s Stephanie Verdoia earned WAC Offensive Player of the Week honors after scoring a hat trick in the Redhawks’ 5-1 win against Idaho on Oct. 7.
First-place Utah State (7-2-6, 2-0-2 WAC) takes to the road to face second-place Seattle (7-5-1, 2-0-1 WAC) on Friday, Oct. 12 at 2 p.m. The Aggies will also take on Idaho on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 2 p.m. (MT).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Twitter reacts to David Collette vs. Utah State
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35