USU soccer: Norris and Mulford garner WAC Soccer Player of the Week honors
Utah State soccer seniors Natalie Norris and Ashlyn Mulford were honored as Western Athletic Conference Players of the Week; the league announced on Monday. Norris was named WAC Defensive Player of the Week, while Mulford earned Goalkeeper of the Week honors.
This was Norris’ fourth career WAC Player of the Week honor, after winning the award twice this season and once in 2010. Mulford was honored for the fourth time this season. USU undergraduate assistant coach Molli Merrill and Aggie great Shantel Flanary lead the team with six WAC Player of the Week honors during their Aggie careers.
Norris, a senior defender from Sandy, Utah (Alta HS), played every minute in two shutout victories for the Aggies last week against UTSA and Texas State. Norris is the anchor of the USU backline that has pitched four-straight WAC shutouts to start the conference schedule. In the win against UTSA, the senior recorded a defensive save to help preserve the 3-0 shutout victory. She also converted a penalty kick with one second remaining in the match for her third goal of the year.
Mulford, a senior goalkeeper from West Valley City, Utah (Cyprus HS), earned one shutout and combined for a second as Utah State earned two home wins against UTSA and then-first-place Texas State. Mulford has yet to allow a goal in WAC action, playing three of the four league matches. In two matches, the senior faced 21 shots with four saves. In the 3-0 win against the Roadrunners, Mulford made two saves and added another two in the 4-0 victory against the Bobcats.
Seattle’s Stephanie Verdoia earned WAC Offensive Player of the Week honors after scoring a hat trick in the Redhawks’ 5-1 win against Idaho on Oct. 7.
First-place Utah State (7-2-6, 2-0-2 WAC) takes to the road to face second-place Seattle (7-5-1, 2-0-1 WAC) on Friday, Oct. 12 at 2 p.m. The Aggies will also take on Idaho on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 2 p.m. (MT).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 15